* How to obtain the GNAT source code?(can not install the rpm files on Suse10.1)
@ 2007-06-19 19:35 climber.cui
From: climber.cui @ 2007-06-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
   this might sound odd, but I do have trouble with installing
the .rpm files I have downloaded from sourceforge.net.
   What i am trying to do is to look at the GNAT source(especially the
runtime system).  I am running Suse linux.
So, i downloaded the rpm files for:
          GNAT/GCC Source
          GNAT/GPL source
however, the installation fails. Linux returns error message: "No
installable package were found", "Following package has not been
found: gnat-gpl"
Then i tried to install GNAT/GPL SuSE 10.1 i686, it failed as well.
   Can some one help me obaiting the source code for GNAT?

   Thanks a lot.

tony

* Re: How to obtain the GNAT source code?(can not install the rpm files on Suse10.1)
@ 2007-06-20  2:12 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-06-20  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

climber.cui@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>    this might sound odd, but I do have trouble with installing
> the .rpm files I have downloaded from sourceforge.net.
>    What i am trying to do is to look at the GNAT source(especially the
> runtime system).  I am running Suse linux.
> So, i downloaded the rpm files for:
>           GNAT/GCC Source
>           GNAT/GPL source
> however, the installation fails. Linux returns error message: "No
> installable package were found", "Following package has not been
> found: gnat-gpl"
> Then i tried to install GNAT/GPL SuSE 10.1 i686, it failed as well.
>    Can some one help me obaiting the source code for GNAT?
>
>    Thanks a lot.
>
> tony

Sounds like a packaging problem with the RPM so I'd recommend submitting
a bug report to the sourceforge project. Obviously there is either user
error or inadvertent GPL violations.

Having said that, if you are really just trying to look at the source
code, and are not picky about having the exact source that matches the
binary, you can just get the source code from the normal GCC mirrors

http://gcc.gnu.org/mirrors.html

That GNAT/GCC packages are generally built un-patched from the standard
source distribution tarballs.