* Another "you're using Ada, and you didn't even know"
@ 1999-12-01  0:00 Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 1999-12-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the US, the cable operator MediaOne had all its systems provided by the
French company Canal+ Technologie.
And yes, all the software is in Ada.

(Michael, for your list...)

           J-P. Rosen (Rosen.Adalog@wanadoo.fr)
Visit Adalog's web site at http://pro.wanadoo.fr/adalog

* Re: Another "you're using Ada, and you didn't even know"
@ 1999-12-02  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-12-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8259n1$mr6$1@wanadoo.fr>, "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen.adalog@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> In the US, the cable operator MediaOne had all its systems provided by the
> French company Canal+ Technologie.
> And yes, all the software is in Ada.
>
> (Michael, for your list...)

Presumably this only applies to their television operations,
and the Internet operations use traditional C-based Unix
systems.

But I would be careful about anything that describes MediaOne
as doing things uniformly across the US, since Internet customers
get widely differing technology under the same product naming
depending on where they are in the US.  Some people have a
two-way Internet cable connection like mine, while others
have inbound cable with outbound characters going by a dialup
connection.  What one gets depends on when one's neighborhood
got "cable" and what the definition of "cable" was at the time,
and how much the cable company wanted to pay for installation
of outside plant (and what they were required to install by local
government) back before the days of cable modems.

The "cable company" at the time, of course, was not MediaOne,
but one of the many companies that got bought out by MediaOne.
Certainly the outside plant was not the only regard in which
those companies had made different purchase decisions prior to
their acquisition by MediaOne.

If MediaOne junked all the existing head-end hardware and then
replaced it with something that is Ada-based, that is great,
but let's make sure the Ada "wins" list has the correct
description of where MediaOne uses "Ada-Inside".

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Another "you're using Ada, and you didn't even know"
@ 1999-12-02  0:00 ` Mats Weber
From: Mats Weber @ 1999-12-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:

> In the US, the cable operator MediaOne had all its systems provided by the
> French company Canal+ Technologie.
> And yes, all the software is in Ada.

I'd be interested in technical references on this, if there are any.

* Re: Another "you're using Ada, and you didn't even know"
@ 1999-12-02  0:00   ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 1999-12-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen <kilgallen@eisner.decus.org> a �crit dans le message :
1999Dec2.084836.1@eisner...
> In article <8259n1$mr6$1@wanadoo.fr>, "Jean-Pierre Rosen"
<rosen.adalog@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> > In the US, the cable operator MediaOne had all its systems provided by
the
> > French company Canal+ Technologie.
> > And yes, all the software is in Ada.
> >
> > (Michael, for your list...)
>
> Presumably this only applies to their television operations,
> and the Internet operations use traditional C-based Unix
> systems.

Definitely, yes. (From this side of the Atlantic, I didn't know that
MediaOne was also an internet provider).
What I was talking about is that Canal + provided (recently as I understand
it) the devices to control operation of the cable. Which ones exactly I
don't know, but if T. Lelegard is listening, he could tell.

Canal + technologies sells devices to operate cable and satellite
television, pay-per-view, and things like that.

@ 1999-12-03  0:00     ` Thierry Lelegard
From: Thierry Lelegard @ 1999-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> don't know, but if T. Lelegard is listening, he could tell.

I am listening. Basically, our TV head-ends systems
(with most software written in Ada) are used in
USA, most european countries (inside and outside the
Canal+ TV group), UK, India, Japan, Malaysia. This is
public information.

You may have a look at http://www.canalplus-technologies.com/
And, for the Canal+ group, at http://www.canalplus.fr/

If you need a contact point for public advertizing
of our usage of Ada, I can direct you to the appropriate
people. But please use my office e-mail address:
lelegard@canal-plus.fr (note the various usages of
"-" and ".com" or ".fr", this is our way to consume
many domain names ;-)
Thierry Lelegard, Paris, France
E-mail: lelegard@club-internet.fr