From: Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com>
Subject: Re: Binding a type to a union.
Date: 1999/12/01
Date: 1999-12-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <s42fr6l7mvm75@corp.supernews.com>,
  "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is the ABC of the Hi-Tech  business that in order in
> succeed in a long run a company should invest some part of
> it's profits into research and development  area (including
> possible markets , technology areas, new products, new trends
> that soon become a market demand etc.).
> Even if (5-10)% of such investments would outcome in something
> useful that is a little bit ahead of the time (and
> competitors's
> products )  then that investments  would be much rewarded.

Well of course! ACT invests FAR FAR more than 10% of its revenue
(you don't really mean profits here, that's not the relevant
figure at all!) in such research and development.

It is a big leap however to conclude that we should necessarily
spend thismoney in the way Vladimir thinks is a good idea :-)

Generally we don't find comp.lang.ada to be the place to look
for ideas on what the most important improvements to GNAT might
be. Instead we look to our own resources, and to suggestions
from customers whom we know and work with closely in this
regard.

As you know if you read the features file that comes with GNAT
releases, we add many new features to each new release. Some of
these ideas come from our own thoughts, some from suggestions
made from customers, some from suggestions made (to
report@gnat.com) from users of the public version.

But few if any from CLA, we just don't find it as very useful
sourceof ideas in practice!

 Sure, CLA is full of people who are
ABSOLUTELY SURE that Ada will succeed if only XXX is done
(you can fill in all kinds of things for XXX if you have
been reading this newsgroup for long), and often these
same people are ABSOLUTELY SURE that any company that does
not implement XXX just doesn't understand -- oh well it is
always easy to spend other people's money.

Actually in the case of GNAT, if you are really really sure
that XXX is the key factor to success, why not follow the
idea yourself, make a version of GNAT or an add on to GNAT
that implements XXX and do your thing :-)

If you do have a specific suggestion, by all means submit it
to Ada Core Technologies, by sending the suggestion in to
report@gnat.com. The important thing is to be as specific as
possible. Specific proposals are much more likely to be looked
at carefully!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/