From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Binding a type to a union.
Date: 1999/11/25
Date: 1999-11-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1999Nov25.113617.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> Given Robert's comment about variations in the degree of
> restriction on this pragma between implementations, what
> is the general process by which people see a useful but
> not standard pragma evolving into a standard one (not
> this paragma in particular).

The ARG discusses such issues as part of its role in maintaining
the Ada standard, the relevant AI's are available online
somewhere :-)

> Will we ultimately likely
> see the more-restrictive or the less-restrictive variant
> adopted ?

Who knows? GNAT provides the minimal version which is sufficient
for interfacing to C, we decline to make it more general, since
we don't think it should be used in any other context. Tuck's
taste is to make the pragma much more general, and that is how
it is implemented in the Intermetrics front end. Who knows what
the ARG will finally agree on, and that's only the first step
anyway?

> Larry Kilgallen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.