* Re: generic packages (again)
@ 1999-11-19  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <812bo1$fir$1@bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au> , "Riyaz Mansoor"
<s800032@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> now i want gen_pack1 (OR pack1, i really don't know) to be compiled
> separately so that any number of packages/programs maybe able to call it
> directly.

Just declare the instantiation as its own library unit:

--pack1.ads
with Gen_Pack1;
package Pack1 is new Get_Pack1;

--pack4.ads
with Pack1;
with Gen_Pack4;
package Pack4 is new Gen_Pack4 (Pack1);

--main.adb
with Pack1;  use Pack1;
with Pack4;  use Pack4;
procedure Main is ...;

--
Evolution is as well documented as any phenomenon in science, as
strongly as the earth's revolution around the sun rather than vice

Stephen Jay Gould, Time, 23 Aug 1999

* generic packages (again)
@ 1999-11-19  0:00 Riyaz Mansoor
From: Riyaz Mansoor @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanx to all of you who replied to my earlier post (though the later posts
were completely beyond me hehe).

here's my program (its quite similar to before).

-- main instantiates gen_pack1 and gen_pack4;
procedure main is
    package pack1 is new gen_pack1; use pack;
    package pack4 is new gen_pack4(pack1); use pack4;
    blah
end main;

-- gen_pack1 intantiages gent_pack2 and gen_pack3
package gen_pack1 is
    package pack2 is new gen_pack2; use pack2;
    package pack3 is new gen_pack3; use pack3;
    blah balh
end gen_pack1;

now i want gen_pack1 (OR pack1, i really don't know) to be compiled
separately so that any number of packages/programs maybe able to call it
directly.

i've never done separate compiling before. i've read the ARM aobut separate
compiling and its very vague (atleast to me). anybody wanna lend a hand
here?

riyaz

* Re: generic packages (again)
@ 1999-11-20  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-11-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Riyaz Mansoor wrote:
> i've never done separate compiling before. i've read the ARM aobut separate
> compiling and its very vague (atleast to me). anybody wanna lend a hand
> here?

Which compiler are you using, Riyaz? What are the host and target
machines?

'How to do' separate compilation is largely an implementation specific
matter. If your compiler's documentation doesn't give you enough info,
maybe you will have some specific questions for us.

--
Nick Roberts
Computer Consultant (UK)

* Re: generic packages (again)
@ 1999-11-22  0:00   ` Riyaz Mansoor
       [not found]     ` <01bf350e$54514610$022a6282@dieppe>
From: Riyaz Mansoor @ 1999-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 'How to do' separate compilation is largely an implementation specific
> matter. If your compiler's documentation doesn't give you enough info,
> maybe you will have some specific questions for us.

sorry for the missing info. i'm using AdaGIDE on a windows 98 (normal pc,
whatever, hehe).

my goal is to have to files (possibly executables) running/feeding off each
other. with the programs i've done upto now i gt one executable. iguess this
is possible. but how?

thanx

riyaz

* Re: generic packages (again)
@ 1999-11-23  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <81cueu$bs2$1@bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au>,
  "Riyaz Mansoor" <s800032@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> yes. well AdaGIDE only comes with that compiler doesn't it?

That's right, but AdaGIDE also only comes with NT, and many
GNAT users won't even know what it is. So if people ask you
what compiler you are using, the answer is indeed GNAT and
not AdaGIDE!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: generic packages (again)
       [not found]     ` <01bf350e$54514610$022a6282@dieppe>
@ 1999-11-23  0:00       ` Riyaz Mansoor
From: Riyaz Mansoor @ 1999-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-11-24  0:00             ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-11-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <81fl48$aa6$1@bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au>,
  "Riyaz Mansoor" <s800032@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> but anyone got any advice on my original post?

Since that package is not embedded in any other package or subprogram,
it *is* compiled separately.

--
T.E.D.

@ 1999-11-24  0:00           ` Riyaz Mansoor
From: Riyaz Mansoor @ 1999-11-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That's right, but AdaGIDE also only comes with NT, and many
> GNAT users won't even know what it is. So if people ask you
> what compiler you are using, the answer is indeed GNAT and
> not AdaGIDE!

ok my mistake.

but anyone got any advice on my original post?