From: Shark8 <OneWingedShark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: experienced unix guy on freebsd 10.1 vs ada hello world
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 22:04:02 -0700
Date: 2015-01-05T22:04:02-07:00	[thread overview]

On 05-Jan-15 21:20, johannes falcone wrote:
> guys I used the docs on http://www.getadanow.com/#get_freebsd and a
> nice gui opened for development, but I am a vi and ed user...
>
> Can't get hello world to compile...
>
> help

Hm, I'm going to guess that's GPS (GNAT Programming Studio) -- there
should be a menu item up-top titled "projects". Under that there should
be an item titled "Edit Project Properties" which should bring up a
dialog-box with tabs along the side, click the one labeled "Main Files".

On the "Main Files" tab-page, there should be a button with a big
plus-sign labeled "Add". Click it, a new dialog box should come up
containing a list w/ associated files, check the file that your "hello
world" resides in and then click ok.

(At this point you should see your file in the "main files" list-box of
the tab-page.)^1 Having returned to the tab-page, click ok. -- Now, I
don't know if you *need* to do it but I have the compulsive habit of
going to (1) "Project", "Save All"; then (2) "Project", "Reload Project".

Now there should be some Icons up top, one a hammer outline on a box
(that's the build icon) and a right-pointing "Play" triangle (the run
icon). -- Click the build icon, if the "messages" pane says something
like: "[2015-01-05 21:55:58] process terminated successfully, elapsed
time: 05.50s"^2 you're good to go, just click the "run" button.

1 -- There's a restriction on what can be "main files", a parameterless
procedure, or a parameterless function returning an integer. (Sorry, I
can't seem to find the documentation for this; the first form is the
most used and definitely works.)
2 -- If there's a compile error it should tell you what it is; most of
the compilers are decent to pretty good, though sometimes you have to
get used to the Ada terminology.