* Re: Great Tutorial for Ada95
@ 1999-11-18  0:00 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

G <Dizzy@interact.net.au> writes:

| http://www.scism.sbu.ac.uk/law/
|
| People are often asking here for good ada95 educational resources.
| That URL is for a cool-o-rama online html tutorial.
                                ^^^^^^
And that is the problem as my computer (at home) is offline, and one are not
allowed to do other than online browsing of this tutorial. :-(

Think I'll stick with Barnes for now :-)

--
Preben Randhol                     "Marriage is when you get to keep
[randhol@pvv.org]                   your girl and don't have to give

* Re: Great Tutorial for Ada95
@ 1999-11-18  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You will find a link to that one and many others at
http://www.adapower.com/learn

David Botton

G wrote in message <38340958.A5103400@interact.net.au>...
>http://www.scism.sbu.ac.uk/law/
>
>People are often asking here for good ada95 educational resources.
>That URL is for a cool-o-rama online html tutorial.

>:-)

* Re: Great Tutorial for Ada95
       [not found]     ` <bxY1ODjQyyYmikiGQBZkH6kY4m7o@4ax.com>
@ 1999-11-19  0:00       ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <bxY1ODjQyyYmikiGQBZkH6kY4m7o@4ax.com> , Brian Orpin
<abuse@borpin.co.uk>  wrote:

>> Oh yes... and if you notice the way the html source has been written with
>> absolute URL's - they aredetermined to keep people from just downloading it
>> all as a local file system (as I prefer it).  I contacted the author through
>> the website and he said it is done like that because the publisher of the
>> paper copy wants it that way.  Copyrights and legals hassles.
>
> I find this so petty but nothing a quick webcrawl and perl script cannot
> solve.  Alternatively use a local proxy with a crawler attached.

I just had the same experience when I recently wacked a website (using
Anarchie).  On a Mac, you can use BBEdit to find all the absolute
addresses in all the files (say, the TEXT files that end with ".html"),
and replace them with relative addresses.  Problem solved.

--
Evolution is as well documented as any phenomenon in science, as
strongly as the earth's revolution around the sun rather than vice

Stephen Jay Gould, Time, 23 Aug 1999

* Great Tutorial for Ada95
@ 1999-11-19  0:00 G
From: G @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-11-19  0:00   ` G M Wallace
       [not found]     ` <bxY1ODjQyyYmikiGQBZkH6kY4m7o@4ax.com>
From: G M Wallace @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> G <Dizzy@interact.net.au> writes:
>
> | http://www.scism.sbu.ac.uk/law/
> |
> | People are often asking here for good ada95 educational resources.
> | That URL is for a cool-o-rama online html tutorial.
>                                 ^^^^^^
> And that is the problem as my computer (at home) is offline, and one are not
> allowed to do other than online browsing of this tutorial. :-(
>
> Think I'll stick with Barnes for now :-)
>
> --
> Preben Randhol                     "Marriage is when you get to keep
> [randhol@pvv.org]                   your girl and don't have to give
> [http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/]      her back to her parents." (Eric, 6)

--
Graeme Wallace
Canberra

"He attracted some attention / When he discovered the fourth dimension / But he
ain't got rhythm / So no one's with him / The loneliest man in town"

              -- 1940's song lyric.

* Re: Great Tutorial for Ada95
@ 1999-11-20  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <38358be0_1@news1.prserv.net>,
  "Matthew Heaney" <matthew_heaney@acm.org> wrote:
> and replace them with relative addresses.  Problem solved.

Not necessarily, you have to check the licensing and copyright
provisions. The fact that someone posts something on the web
does not automatically mean you have a license to copy it.
All copies, including these kind of copies are potentially
protected by copyright restrictions, so you need to check the
license before you copy. Particularly in a case like this
where you know that the copyright holder does NOT intend you
to make complete copies, you should be careful of whether
or not you are authorized to do so.

Whether copyright holders enforcing their legal rights is
or is not reasonable, or is or is not petty, is an interesting
discussion, but does not affect the law!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Great Tutorial for Ada95
@ 1999-11-22  0:00   ` John English
From: John English @ 1999-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> G <Dizzy@interact.net.au> writes:
>
> | http://www.scism.sbu.ac.uk/law/
> |
> | People are often asking here for good ada95 educational resources.
> | That URL is for a cool-o-rama online html tutorial.
>                                 ^^^^^^
> And that is the problem as my computer (at home) is offline, and one are not
> allowed to do other than online browsing of this tutorial. :-(

Plan B is to look at http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/
which includes a couple of tutorials as well as the RM95, Rationale,
Style Guide, GNAT for DOS and Windows, the old FAQs, source examples,
and loads of other stuff... and it's available on CD (1300 meg of
stuff for �5.00 in the UK, $8.50 in the US). There's also a copy
of Red Hat 6.0, a dictionary of computing, compilers/tutorials/
reference manuals for over 20 other languages, and a whole load
of other stuff. All designed as a website on CD for offline use.

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk