* AdaGIDE problems
@ 1999-11-17  0:00 Keith
From: Keith  @ 1999-11-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using AdaGIDE v. 6.23.4 running under NT 4.0
when I execute the debugger the GDB source display window come up empty and
when I try the  "step"command a window comes up stating that the "debugger
is idle".

When I execute the GDB run command I get the following:

"gdb) Starting program: C:\Ada95 code\ISV/My.exe
78000000:C:/WINNT/system32/msvcrt.dll

[failed reading symbols from DLL]
"C:/WINNT/system32/KERNEL32.dll": error reading line numbers

[failed reading symbols from DLL]
"C:/WINNT/system32/advapi32.dll": error reading line numbers

77e70000:C:/WINNT/system32/USER32.dll
77ed0000:C:/WINNT/system32/GDI32.dll
77e10000:C:/WINNT/system32/RPCRT4.dll

Program exited with code 01."

I can not  find any examples of  using the debugger.

Can you help me?

Thank you in advance

--
Keith

* Re: AdaGIDE problems
@ 1999-11-18  0:00   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Riyaz Mansoor <s800032@student.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> Keith <cordieritenono@mediaone.net> wrote in message
> > I am using AdaGIDE v. 6.23.4 running under NT 4.0
> > when I execute the debugger the GDB source display window come up empty
> and
> > when I try the  "step"command a window comes up stating that the
"debugger
> > is idle".
>
> hi kieth
>
> i'm also having similar problems. i'm running GDB 4.16.gnat.3.11p
(AdaGIDE).
> i dont'know if we're running the same thing but i'd also like to know a
> solution to this
>
> OR
>
> some point in the direction of a free good ADA debugger?
There isn't a better free (maybe not at any price) debugger than what you've
got.
Here are some pointers to use of the debugger under AdaGIDE:

   1.  As AdaGIDE is configured, the Build command does not build a
debuggable
       executable.  To remedy this, select "GNAT Options in current
directory"
       from the "Tools" menu, enter -g on the gnatmake line, and click the
OK
       button.  Another dialog box will come up informing you that the
options
       have been successfully changed. Click OK on that dialog box.
       Delete the .ali files pertaining to your program, and click Build on
       the Run menu.

   2.  After a successful build, click Start Debugger on the Run menu. If
you
       click Start on the debugger Source window, your program will go
through
       its elaboration code and stop at the first line of your main program.

   3.  If you want to be able to step into code that has source in other
       directories, create a file called .gdbinit in your current directory,
       and place in it a line or lines of the form:
       directory <absolute-or-relative-unix-style pathname>

       In the Win32 environment absolute paths begin with <drive-letter>:/

   4.  Get (read and follow) the documentation on gdbtk (missing from the
       gnat-3.12p-nt release from ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/gdb/
       the file is gdb-4.17.gnat3.12p-docs.tar.gz

> --
>
> AND THEN THEIR WAS LIGHT

The correct spelling of this phrase is
AND THEN THERE WAS LIGHT

* Re: AdaGIDE problems
@ 1999-11-18  0:00   ` Gautier de Montmollin
From: Gautier de Montmollin @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> some point in the direction of a free good ADA debugger?

For the 32-bit DJGPP environment there is an excellent one
that runs like a Borland, with windows, breakpoints, step-
into, trace-over etc.: RHGDB, it supports Ada.
Maybe it has been ported to Win32.
Links on page below.

HTH

Gautier

_____\\________________\_______\_________
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm

* Re: AdaGIDE problems
@ 1999-11-18  0:00 ` Riyaz Mansoor
From: Riyaz Mansoor @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-11-19  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3833FA3B.13B572A@maths.unine.ch>,
  Gautier.deMontmollin@maths.unine.ch wrote:
> > some point in the direction of a free good ADA debugger?
>
> For the 32-bit DJGPP environment there is an excellent one
> that runs like a Borland, with windows, breakpoints, step-
> into, trace-over etc.: RHGDB, it supports Ada.
> Maybe it has been ported to Win32.
> Links on page below.

This is the same debugger, just with a different interface
(note the GDB in the title :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.