* GNAT with Java
@ 1999-11-08  0:00 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 1999-11-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the latest scoop regarding release of GNAT with Java support ?

Andrew

* Re: GNAT with Java
@ 1999-11-09  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8085es$3e3$1@news5.fast.net>,
  "Andrew" <mysig@fast.net> wrote:
> What is the latest scoop regarding release of GNAT with Java
support ?

We will announce this product as soon as it is available, you
can expect to see such an announcement in the near future.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: GNAT with Java
@ 1999-11-10  0:00   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1999-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Forget GNAT or Java.
The scoop is this one http://www.cobolscript.com/
8-) G.

* Re: GNAT with Java
@ 1999-11-10  0:00     ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 1999-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

well, there's still a lot of Cobol code out there and with Y2K around the
corner, Cobol programmers are making a killing

Andrew
"Gautier" <Gautier.deMontmollin@maths.unine.ch> wrote in message
> Forget GNAT or Java.
> The scoop is this one http://www.cobolscript.com/
> 8-) G.

* Re: GNAT with Java
@ 1999-11-10  0:00   ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 1999-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excellent. Thanks a lot.

Andrew

"Robert Dewar" <dewar@gnat.com> wrote in message
> In article <8085es$3e3$1@news5.fast.net>,
>   "Andrew" <mysig@fast.net> wrote:
> > What is the latest scoop regarding release of GNAT with Java
> support ?
>
> We will announce this product as soon as it is available, you
> can expect to see such an announcement in the near future.
>
> Robert Dewar
> Ada Core Technologies
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

* Re: GNAT with Java
@ 1999-11-11  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3828BCC7.8B56AB68@maths.unine.ch>,
  Gautier <Gautier.deMontmollin@maths.unine.ch> wrote:
> Forget GNAT or Java.
> The scoop is this one http://www.cobolscript.com/
> 8-) G.

Looks like a nice product to me. I would guess the smiley
means you don't really know COBOL very well??? Remember that
in the Ada community we should be especially careful not to
dismiss other languages without knowing anything about them :-)

There are many features of COBOL that are very attractive, even
by Ada standards (dynamic instead of static binding of
subprograms for example - sounds like just the thing for web
based programming).

@ 1999-11-11  0:00       ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1999-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > The scoop is this one http://www.cobolscript.com/
> > 8-) G.

> Looks like a nice product to me. I would guess the smiley
> means you don't really know COBOL very well???

That smiley can mean that I'll be happy to learn CobolScript.
The sources there seem very attractive.

--
Gautier

_____\\________________\_______\
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

* Re: GNAT with Java
@ 1999-11-12  0:00       ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 1999-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <80disp$3s7$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
	Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

>There are many features of COBOL that are very attractive, even
>by Ada standards (dynamic instead of static binding of
>subprograms for example - sounds like just the thing for web
>based programming).

Yes, indeed. The COBOL version of a case statement is still the
most elegant design of multiway selection I have seen in any
language.  Also, COBOL has adopted some ideas from Ada, although
the COBOL users don' realize it.

As for the cobolscript product, it looks interesting.  In fact, it
is something that could be done in almost any language.  From what
I can see, it extends COBOL to generate html scripts through new
variations of the DISPLAY verb.

Richard Riehle
http://www.adaworks.com

* Re: GNAT with Java
@ 1999-11-13  0:00         ` deandeskware
From: deandeskware @ 1999-11-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <80fqb9$7s7$1@nntp2.atl.mindspring.net>,
  Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> In article <80disp$3s7$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> 	Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> >There are many features of COBOL that are very attractive, even
> >by Ada standards (dynamic instead of static binding of
> >subprograms for example - sounds like just the thing for web
> >based programming).
>
> Yes, indeed. The COBOL version of a case statement is still the
> most elegant design of multiway selection I have seen in any
> language.  Also, COBOL has adopted some ideas from Ada, although
> the COBOL users don' realize it.
>
> As for the cobolscript product, it looks interesting.  In fact, it
> is something that could be done in almost any language.  From what
> I can see, it extends COBOL to generate html scripts through new
> variations of the DISPLAY verb.

The CobolScript product is very easy to learn and maintain.  It builds
on the foundations of COBOL and leverages business logic and existing
skill sets.

As you say, the same could probably be done by an ADA vendor.  If
someone were to capitalize on the existing base of ADA code they too
could have a sizeable market.

Best Regards,

Matt Dean
President, CEO