From: deandeskware@my-deja.com
Subject: Re: GNAT with Java
Date: 1999/11/13
Date: 1999-11-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <80fqb9$7s7$1@nntp2.atl.mindspring.net>,
  Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> In article <80disp$3s7$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> 	Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> >There are many features of COBOL that are very attractive, even
> >by Ada standards (dynamic instead of static binding of
> >subprograms for example - sounds like just the thing for web
> >based programming).
>
> Yes, indeed. The COBOL version of a case statement is still the
> most elegant design of multiway selection I have seen in any
> language.  Also, COBOL has adopted some ideas from Ada, although
> the COBOL users don' realize it.
>
> As for the cobolscript product, it looks interesting.  In fact, it
> is something that could be done in almost any language.  From what
> I can see, it extends COBOL to generate html scripts through new
> variations of the DISPLAY verb.

The CobolScript product is very easy to learn and maintain.  It builds
on the foundations of COBOL and leverages business logic and existing
skill sets.

As you say, the same could probably be done by an ADA vendor.  If
someone were to capitalize on the existing base of ADA code they too
could have a sizeable market.

Best Regards,

Matt Dean
President, CEO