From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Confusing language, was Re: Help help.. please.i am totaly n
Date: 1999/11/13
Date: 1999-11-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article
<XFMail.991113083406.wilhelm.spickermann@t-online.de>,
  Wilhelm Spickermann <wilhelm.spickermann@t-online.de> wrote:

> On 12-Nov-99 Robert Dewar wrote:
>
> ..
> >
> >    ISO_Date      : constant Picture_String := "%Y/%m/%d";
> >    US_Date       : constant Picture_String := "%m/%d/%y";
> >    European_Date : constant Picture_String := "%d/%m/%y";

The European_Date form is absolutely standard in British usage,
and is even used in the US, on the customs and visa forms used
to enter the united states.

> I've seen this "European_Date" only two times in my life
> before(this year, in e-mails from the united states to my
> company, leading to some confusion about the date meant). Two
> slashes are recognized in many parts of Europe as indicating
> US dates.

Yes, well Britain is not sure itself whether it is part of
Europe :-)

But you are right, there are lots of variations, note that in
this package, these are simply special cases of a much more
general mechanism, which will cover all the date formats that
you quote.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.