From: Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT with Java
Date: 1999/11/12
Date: 1999-11-12T01:26:01+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <80disp$3s7$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
	Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

>There are many features of COBOL that are very attractive, even
>by Ada standards (dynamic instead of static binding of
>subprograms for example - sounds like just the thing for web
>based programming).

Yes, indeed. The COBOL version of a case statement is still the
most elegant design of multiway selection I have seen in any
language.  Also, COBOL has adopted some ideas from Ada, although
the COBOL users don' realize it.

As for the cobolscript product, it looks interesting.  In fact, it
is something that could be done in almost any language.  From what
I can see, it extends COBOL to generate html scripts through new
variations of the DISPLAY verb.

Richard Riehle
http://www.adaworks.com