From: "Steve O'Neill" <smoneill@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: The press strikes again...
Date: 1999/11/11
Date: 1999-11-11T18:05:58+00:00	[thread overview]

Marin Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com> wrote in message
news:382AEF3D.9DB18975@pwfl.com...
> Steve O'Neill wrote:
>
> > "Another problem with replacing all 1553 with Fibre Channel is software
> > compatibility, says George Meares, vice president of research and
> > development at VMIC.  Currently there are neither Fibre Channel devices
> > designed to work with the Ada programming language,, (sic) nor is there
any
> > interest, he adds."
>
> The dumb part about this statement is that *nobody* designs a device to
work with a programming language.

Exactly.  Just a stupid statement - but one from a VP of R&D of a company
with a rather large interest/influence in the VME marketplace.  He should
know better.  And then the fact that it is directed at just a single
language makes it even more interesting (like, what's the point of this
statement?).

> If what they meant was that nobody has build any commercially available
Ada software to control this device -

Perhaps his particular product but, like I said, I know of efforts with
other devices.  He also should clarify what type of Fibre Channel he's
talking about.  Is he talking of FC in a network application or in a storage
device application.  These are quite different and I doubt if you will find
much use of Ada in device drivers for storage devices.

> The statement makes it sound like somehow or other Ada is inadequate for
doing the job.

And, of course, all those more popular languages are perfect for it.  Huh?

Steve