From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Rep-spec question
Date: 1999/11/10
Date: 1999-11-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <80clr0$etf$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Joe Wisniewski <wisniew@acm.org> wrote:
> In article <80clia$ein$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

> > for rec'size use 64;
> >
> > (This isn't guaranteed to compile either)
>
>    You are not saying that is required NOT to compile.
>    Correct?

Yes!..er..No!..er, I'm not sure what your question really was. :-)

At the risk of opening the "implementation advice" can of worms again,
the size clause above is not required to be accepted by an
implementation. But if your vendor follows the recomendation in the
implementaion advice (which most should), then it will compile. The
implementation advice in question (from 13.3) is:

---
The recommended level of support for the Size attribute of objects is:

A Size clause should be supported for an object if the specified Size is
at least as large as its subtype's Size, and corresponds to a size in
storage elements that is a multiple of the object's Alignment (if the
Alignment is nonzero).
---

There's also the minor issue that a "storage element" is not required to
be 1 byte. But the vast majority of them (if not all) will be.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.