From: Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com>
Subject: Re: CPU recommendations from an Ada perspective?
Date: 1999/11/08
Date: 1999-11-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <nJEU3.1529$G51.395421@news.wenet.net>,
  "Mike Silva" <mjsilva@jps.net> wrote:
> I'm reluctant to ask this question because it's so vague at
this point, but
> my curiosity has won out.  I'd like to hear any
recommendations for (or
> against) those 32 bit CPU families which are supported by good
Ada tools.

There are really a lot of choices here. Just looking at the
GNAT world, we have customers doing embedded programming using
all of the following chips

ia32
i960
ARC
mips
alpha
m68k
ppc

and I may well have forgotten some. At this stage you can
probably choose the hardware based on the application
requirements rather than development environment requirements
(other vendors also support multiple targets). I am assuming
that you are talking general purpose microprocessors here. If
you move into specialized areas like DSP's, then you need to
do more research!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/