From: leake@cme.nbs.gov (Stephe Leake)
Subject: Re: Ada/UNIX(tm) and the NAME function
Date: 3 Jan 89 15:19:13 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <8069@aw.sei.cmu.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:

   No: the fact that it is required to raise an exception does not imply
   (here or elsewhere) that it is forbidden to raise any otehr exception.

This sounds dangerous to me; I have always assumed that the
pre-defined packages behaved _precisely_ as specified in the LRM,
_including_ which exceptions may be raised. Thus, if the LRM does not
state that a particular routine may raise an exception, it should not
do so. This is critical in writting exception handlers; we have to
know which exceptions a routine may raise in order to handle them all.

Stephe Leake 	(301) 975-3431 		leake@cme.nbs.gov
(formerly National Bureau of Standards)
Rm. B-124, Bldg. 220
Gaithersburg, MD  20899