From: "Steve D" <nospam_steved94@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: IBM Rational Ada
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 18:30:18 -0800
Date: 2009-02-02T18:30:18-08:00	[thread overview]

"Martin" <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:0029a4b0-d524-41cb-830c-c60fb9a35e09@p2g2000prn.googlegroups.com...
>[snip]
>-
>>
>> I'm quite sure that price only gets you the physical distribution
>> media (CD-ROM) and maybe some printed installation instructions. IBM/
>> Rational Apex requires a FLEXlm served license to run and that still
>> costs $$$$$ per license, minimum.
>
>So, the �200 is what? Just a command line compiler?

I can't speak for IBM, but the way things used to work with DEC (Digital)
purchasing the media gave you access to absolutely nothing without license
keys.  Not even a command line compiler.  I would expect the same with
IBM/Rational Apex.

With DEC you had to key in one of those cryptic keys that looks a lot like
line noise in order for any software to be available.  Those keys were often
very expensive.  The physical distributuion gave you disks to load from once
you had the key.

Regards,
Steve