From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: ada sockets question
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 14:19:47 GMT
Date: 2001-07-03T14:19:47+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <9hrtm0$9o6$1@fang.dsto.defence.gov.au>, Vladimir Bednikov says...
>I am writing a RT application on an SGI using gnat3.13p. I have
>downloaded the adasockets package version 0.1.13 and am using it,
>but it is very slow. Is there a fast sockets package or do I have to
>call c sockets.

What is slow about it? Are you certain the "slowness" has anything to do with
the Ada code? I'd have trouble believing that there's anything going on in the
Ada bindings that takes anywhere close to the same amount of time as the network
transmission itself.

Even if it does something stupid like make an extra copy of the data being
transmitted, that's going to be immensly faster than copying the same data over
the network. I suppose you could get even dumber by using dynamic allocation and
deallocation...

---