* Gnat & Linux & Ada & DB2
@ 1999-11-02  0:00 Chris Miller
From: Chris Miller @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just received the free IBM evaluation DB2 for Linux CD and was
wondering what would be involved in  calling DB2 from Gnat Ada.

I know there have been previous attempts to provide bindings / preprocessors
to SQL from Ada but these seem quite old (?). What is the current position
?. Has anyone else got DB2 and Ada to talk to each other ?.

This is really just an experiment to test a long held belief of mine that it
is time that RDB's, like garbage collection, be used on *some* real time
systems. Processing power, memory, disk space - it's all so cheap these
days.

Has anyone else out there played with this combination ?.

--
-------------------------------------
Chris Miller

* Re: Gnat & Linux & Ada & DB2
@ 1999-11-02  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m6yT3.627$Q3.2740@ozemail.com.au>,
  "Chris Miller" <chrismil@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> I have just received the free IBM evaluation DB2 for Linux CD and was
> wondering what would be involved in  calling DB2 from Gnat Ada.

If its got a C interface, you can easily write an Ada interface to that
in the typical way.

> This is really just an experiment to test a long held belief of mine
> that it is time that RDB's, like garbage collection, be used on *some*
> real time systems. Processing power, memory, disk space - it's all so
> cheap these days.

I've seen it done on non-hard realtime systems. The issue with hard
realtime systems isn't just speed, but determinism. Not only does a
query have to be able to finish in a set amount of time, but it has to
*always* finish in that set amount of time. In a RDB that depends on the
size of the database, its organization, and how the DBMS was written. In
short, showing that you will always meet your timing is a non-trivial
task and will require a fair amount of support from your DBMS vendor.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Gnat & Linux & Ada & DB2
@ 1999-11-02  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m6yT3.627$Q3.2740@ozemail.com.au> , "Chris Miller"
<chrismil@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> I have just received the free IBM evaluation DB2 for Linux CD and was
> wondering what would be involved in  calling DB2 from Gnat Ada.
>
> I know there have been previous attempts to provide bindings / preprocessors
> to SQL from Ada but these seem quite old (?). What is the current position
> ?. Has anyone else got DB2 and Ada to talk to each other ?.

I haven't used DB2, so I can't help you in that department.

However, if you're in need of persistent storage for items that you can
read and write according to an arbitrary key, then one alternative is to
use an indexed I/O file.

<http://www.adapower.com/reuse/indexed_io.html>

The indexed I/O packages should be portable across all compilers.

It's probably not as slick as a real database, but the price is right.

Matt

--
Creationists attempt to draw a line between evolutionary biology and the
rest of science by remarking that large-scale evolution cannot be

Abusing Science: The Case Against Creationism
Philip Kitcher