From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Gnat & Linux & Ada & DB2
Date: 1999/11/02
Date: 1999-11-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <m6yT3.627$Q3.2740@ozemail.com.au>,
  "Chris Miller" <chrismil@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> I have just received the free IBM evaluation DB2 for Linux CD and was
> wondering what would be involved in  calling DB2 from Gnat Ada.

If its got a C interface, you can easily write an Ada interface to that
in the typical way.

> This is really just an experiment to test a long held belief of mine
> that it is time that RDB's, like garbage collection, be used on *some*
> real time systems. Processing power, memory, disk space - it's all so
> cheap these days.

I've seen it done on non-hard realtime systems. The issue with hard
realtime systems isn't just speed, but determinism. Not only does a
query have to be able to finish in a set amount of time, but it has to
*always* finish in that set amount of time. In a RDB that depends on the
size of the database, its organization, and how the DBMS was written. In
short, showing that you will always meet your timing is a non-trivial
task and will require a fair amount of support from your DBMS vendor.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.