* Re: ARM questions
@ 1999-11-01  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <381DF32B.72F58E8A@mbox5.singnet.com.sg> , Siow Wey Hua
<ps750@mbox5.singnet.com.sg>  wrote:

> Is there any difference between the AARM (which is available at the PAL)
> and the ARM listed below ? I am thinking of buying a copy myself. And is
> the ARM absolutely accurate in content ?

The acronym "AARM" stands for "Annotated Ada Reference Manual," and yes,
it is different from the manual you cite below.  The difference is that
it contains extra information (the annotations) about why the language
designers made the choices they did.

The AARM is really for compiler writers and power users.

--
The theory of evolution is quite rightly called the greatest unifying
theory in biology.  The diversity of organisms, similarities and

Populations, Species, and Evolution
Ernst Mayr

* ARM questions
@ 1999-11-02  0:00 Siow Wey Hua
From: Siow Wey Hua @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

Is there any difference between the AARM (which is available at the PAL)
and the ARM listed below ? I am thinking of buying a copy myself. And is
the ARM absolutely accurate in content ?

Ada 95 Reference Manual : Language and Standard Libraries :
International Standard Iso/Iec 8652:1995(E) (Lecture Notes in Computer
Science, 1246) by S. Tucker Taft (Editor), Robert A. Duff (Editor), T.
Taft (Editor)

And Mr. Starner, could you please repost your article regarding the
issue of GNAT and MacOSX ? Thanks.

Wey Hua Siow

* Re: ARM questions
@ 1999-11-02  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <381dfb60_1@news1.prserv.net>,
  "Matthew Heaney" <matthew_heaney@acm.org> wrote:
> The acronym "AARM" stands for "Annotated Ada Reference
Manual," and yes,
> it is different from the manual you cite below.  The
difference is that
> it contains extra information (the annotations) about why the
language
> designers made the choices they did.
>
> The AARM is really for compiler writers and power users.

Notice that the annotations in the AARM have no official status
at all, they are not part of the standard, and do not affect
the interpretation of the standard in any way (they are just
the authors opinions, and observations). They are still often
useful, but it is important to bear this in mind. In particular
the annotations have not been subjected to any formal standards
type review.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.