* Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-19  0:00 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
available at

   ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

for GNU/Linux and Sparc Solaris. Other versions to follow very
shortly, as well as RPM's for Linux (from the GNAT/Linux
group).

This release coincides with the opening day of Sig Ada :-)

Robert B. K. Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

The following is a list of new features in version 3.12,
as compared with version 3.11
-----------------------------

  The standard GNAT library (on Unix systems) now contains a
Makefile
  called Makefile.adalib which allows recompilation of the
runtime
  with different compilation options or different configuration
  pragmas.

  GNAT now handles C, C++ and Fortran convention boolean types
specially.
  In all these cases, zero/non-zero semantics is used, so that
any
  non-zero value is treated as equivalent to True. This means
that
  the implementation of Interfaces.Fortran.LOGICAL is more
accurate,
  and provides a convenient way of importing C int values used
as
  boolean values.

  GNORT now permits the use of allocators and it is also
possible to
  explicitly raise Program_Error. These calls are supported by
user
  defined subprograms. See GNORT documentation for full details.

  A new package, GNAT.Current_Exception is provided for access
to the
  current exception name and information. This is provided for
compatibility
  with other Ada 83 compilers. See g-curexc.ads for a full
description of
  this package.

  A new gnatbind option, -shared, enables the use of a shared
GNAT library
  when available (currently DEC Unix, SGI IRIX and OpenVMS).
  Static GNAT library is the default on all targets but VMS and
SGI IRIX.

  A new tool is provided, gnatdll. This is an NT/Win9x specific
tool
  to help in constructing DLLs.

  Complete rewrite of the section of NT/Win9x specific features
and
  documentation of the GNAT technology in this area. This
section now
  clearly explains and documents how to use the NT/Win9x
specific
  features of the GNAT technology.

  The compiler is now built with options -gnatpn instead of
-gnata.
  This means that the front end of the compiler is considerably
  faster, up to 2-3 times faster in some cases. The cases where
you
  will see the biggest speed up are in -gnatc compilations with
no
  code generation, or if very large specs are with'ed from
smaller
  units.

  If pragma Suppress is used in the gnat.adc file, this now
properly
  suppresses exceptions in all files compiled in the presence of
this
  gnat.adc file (Suppress pragmas in gnat.adc were previously
ignored,
  which is in accordance with the RM, but certainly not what is
wanted!)

  On Digital Unix 4.0D, the run time now takes advantage of the
full
  range of priorities (0 .. 63).

  In -gnatc mode, an existing up to date ali file is no longer
destroyed.
  In particular this means that the -gnatc -gnatt compilations
used by
  ASIS do not destroy existing ali files.

  A new switch -gnaty activates style checking features in the
compiler.
  These roughly correspond to the checking done by the special
internal
  -gnatg flag, except that -gnaty allows extensive choice of
which checks
  are to be performed, and also allows parametrization, e.g. of
the indent
  level that is enforced.

  The handling of aggregates has been optimized in many cases,
generating
  more efficient code and less memory usage.

  The binder now generates an Ada package as the main program by
default
  instead of a C program. The generated files are called
b~xxx.ads/adb,
  where xxx is the name of the main program. The -C switch for
both
  gnatbind and gnatlink can be used to get the old behavior of
generating
  the main program in C.

  The compilation switches are now stored in the ali file (lines
starting
  with A). This is used to implement the corresponding ASIS
option to
  retrieve the command line arguments.

  A new pragma Finalize_Storage_Only has been implemented. It
indicates
  that a Finalize routine is present only for the purposes of
releasing
  storage, and that thus the Finalize call can be omitted in
some cases
  (e.g. for objects declared at the library level).

  A function and a procedure to retreive the current working
directory
  have been added in g-dirope.ad[sb].

  Gcov, a test coverage program is now distributed with GNAT.
See the gcc
  documentation for its use.

  pragma Task_Info is now available for AiX and can be used to
specify the
  scheduling contention scope of each Ada task.

  New switches -nostdinc and -nostdlib for gnatmake and
gnatbind. New
  switch -nostdinc for gcc/gnat1 and gnatls. -nostdinc turns off
looking
  for sources in the system default directory. -nostdlib turns
off looking
  for library files in the system default directory.

  [VMS] Wildcard directory specifications accepted and expanded
in /SEARCH
  qualifiers and ADA_{INCLUDE,OBJECTS}_PATH logicals.

  Add support for Windows NT Resources. Under NT there are two
new tools.
  RCL the resource compiler and res2coff to convert a binary
resources
  file to a coff object file to be linked with a program.

  A new package GNAT.Traceback provides non-symbolic tracebacks
at
  run time on Solaris and Linux.

  A new package GNAT.Traceback.Symbolic provides symbolic
tracebacks at
  run time on Solaris and Linux.

  A new package GNAT.Regpat implements the full V7 regular
expression
  matching, including such features as anchors, and is thus a
more
  complete implementation than that in GNAT.Regexp, which is
retained
  for compatibility (and is in any case more appropriate for
certain
  functions).

  The packages Calendar and Ada.Real_Time for the NT/Win9x
implementation now
  use a high resolution clock providing a resolution of 1
micro-sec.

  A new convention DLL has been added to simplify the
development of DLL's
  using the NT/Win9x port of GNAT..

  The convention Stdcall is now available for variables as well
as
  subprograms for the NT/Win9x port of GNAT.

  A restricted version of the run time is now provided. This
version of
  the run time is automatically used if the appropriate set of
restrictions
  is used. A new pragma Restricted_Run_Time sets this set of
restrictions.
  The restricted run-time is more efficient for the set of
allowed operations.

  A new pragma Ravenscar establishes the set of restrictions
that corresponds
  with the Ravenscar profile for limited tasking. This is a more
restrictive
  set than Restricted_Run_Time, so use of pragma Ravenscar will
also cause the
  restricted run time to be used.

  A new restriction identifier No_Complex_Barriers has been
added which
  causes barriers to be restricted to simple boolean variables
declared
  within the protected type. This is one of the Ravenscar
restrictions.

  A new restriction identifier No_Select_Statements has been
added which
  completely eliminates the use of select statements. This is
one of the
  Ravenscar restrictions

  The list of switches printed out when the -gnath option is
used now includes
  common gcc switches.

  The handling of protected objects with no entries has been
simplified and
  optimized.

  A new switch -gnatR causes the compiler to output
representation information
  for declared arrays and records.

  A new switch -gnatD causes the compiler to generate files with
names
  x.dg (where x is the source file name) that contain the
expanded (-gnatG)
  code and to force debugging information to refer to these
files. This
  allows source level debugging using the expanded code.

  The package GNAT.Command_Line has been updated to handle
sections on
  the command line, as in gnatmake (-largs, -bargs, ...). There
is also
  a new character '!' to specify that a switch must have a
parameter, and
  that there must be no space between the two. Finally, a new
special switch
  '*' has been created, to match any item on the command line.

  Shared passive partitions are fully implemented, including
support for
  protected objects that provide global locking capability. The
implementation
  allows the use of shared passive partitions to communicate
between separate
  programs as well as between partitions of a single distibuted
program, and
  also provides for automatic persistance from one run to
another.

  A new flag -O for gnatbind gives a complete list of objects
that are
  needed by the Ada part of the program.

  The sorting packages GNAT.Heap_Sort_A, GNAT.Heap_Sort_G,
GNAT.Bubble_Sort_A
  and GNAT. Bubble_Sort_G use subtype Natural instead of
Positive for the
  number of items to sort, so it is no longer an error to sort
an empty
  range of items.

  A new package GNAT.Threads (in files g-thread.ads/adb)
provides a general
  facility for foreign code (e.g. written in C) to create
threads in a
  manner known to the Ada run-time system, so that these threads
can
  freely call Ada code that uses explicit or implicit tasking
constructs.

  The Assert pragma now permits expressions of types derived
from Boolean
  instead of requiring Standard.Boolean itself.

  A new flag -z for gnatmake and gnatbind allows the more
convenient
  compilation/binding/linking of an Ada program without a main
subprogram.
  The execution of such a program is identical to the one of the
program
  with an empty main subprogram with a "with" clause on the main
package.

  The output format of gnatxref has been modified to be in
columnar
  format so that it is easier to read.

  The gnatfind utility now accepts wild cards in the file name
to allow
  a set of files to be searched, and this works on all operating
systems.

  The gnatprep utility now supports boolean expressions (and,
or, and
  then, or else, =, 'Defined), and has a new command line switch
  define symbols.

  A new optimization circuit removes many subscript checks in
loops in
  the cases where the range of the loop can be determined to be
in range
  of the subscript.

  The location (file and line number) at which an exception was
raised now
  appears by default in the exception message, and the message
for an
  unhandled exception includes this information.

  Zero cost exceptions are now implemented in DEC Unix and on
SGI Irix.
  On these two targets, zero cost exception handling is the
standard
  default. You can select longjmp/setjmp exception handling
(smaller
  executables) by using the -gnatL switch on all compilations
including
  the library units. The switch -gnatZ can be used to enable
zero cost
  exceptions on certain other targets including NT, but these
are partial
  implementations in which exceptions cannot be propagated
through C
  code (but for all Ada programs, this will work correctly).

  In the DEC Unix version, foreign threads (those created
outside Ada) are
  now recognized automatically and converted to Ada tasks for
proper
  treatment by the Ada run time as Ada tasks.

  24-bit packed components are now permitted in GNORT mode
provided that
  the alignment of the component type is explicitly set to 1.

  A new attribute System'To_Address (X) has exactly the same
result value
  as System.Storage_Elements.To_Address (X), except that the
result is a
  static value if the input value is static, allowing its use in
a package
  to which pragma Preelaborate applies.

  It is now permissible to declare library variables whose
nominal type is
  unconstrained String in GNORT mode if the initializing
expression is a
  string literal.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-19  0:00 ` Vincent Marciante
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: Vincent Marciante @ 1999-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> available at
>
>    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
> for GNU/Linux and Sparc Solaris. Other versions to follow very
> shortly, as well as RPM's for Linux (from the GNAT/Linux
> group).
>
> This release coincides with the opening day of Sig Ada :-)
>
> Robert B. K. Dewar
> Ada Core Technologies

OS/2 also?  Please please please :)

Vinny

--
To reply, please remove the four and five
from the anti-spam address that is shown.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-20  0:00 ` bourguet
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: bourguet @ 1999-10-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> available at
>
>    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
> for GNU/Linux and Sparc Solaris. Other versions to follow very
> shortly, as well as RPM's for Linux (from the GNAT/Linux
> group).
>
> This release coincides with the opening day of Sig Ada :-)

This is a good thing. The list of improvement is impressive, but
I've two questions:

>   GNORT now permits the use of allocators and it is also
> possible to
>   explicitly raise Program_Error. These calls are supported by
> user
>   defined subprograms. See GNORT documentation for full details.

I could not found GNORT documentation in the documentation,
in the source nor in the linux binary tar file. Did I miss something?

>   In -gnatc mode, an existing up to date ali file is no longer
> destroyed.
>   In particular this means that the -gnatc -gnatt compilations
> used by
>   ASIS do not destroy existing ali files.

On cs.nyu.edu, the asis subdirectory contains only 3.11p version.
The same is true for gnatelim. Is the 3.11p implementation of
ASIS still valid?

Yours,

-- Jean-Marc Bourguet

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-20  0:00 ` mitch
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: mitch @ 1999-10-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert says...

>A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
>available at
>
>   ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
>for GNU/Linux and Sparc Solaris. Other versions to follow very

GREAT !!!!!!!

I am ftp'ing right now... WOW ..... Go Ada !!!!!! Go Linux !!

thank you every one at ACT !!!!

mitch

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-21  0:00   ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:36:57 +0200, Jean-Pierre Rosen
<rosen.adalog@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>It seems that ACT doesn't understand at all the current trends in software.
>It's been years that I didn't see a new version of a software that wasn't
>*slower* than the previous one..... ;-)

Linux 2.0.x --> Linux 2.2.x

(I haven't been around long enough to remember pre 2.0)

It's quite common in the free software world...

- Aidan (it's especially nice when it's your operating system that
does it)
--
"I say we just bury him and eat dessert"
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-21  0:00   ` Tim Erickson
From: Tim Erickson @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:21:31, Vincent Marciante <mar4ciant@l5i.net>
wrote:

> Robert Dewar wrote:
> >
> > A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> > available at
> >
> >    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
> >
> > for GNU/Linux and Sparc Solaris. Other versions to follow very
> > shortly, as well as RPM's for Linux (from the GNAT/Linux
> > group).
> >
> > This release coincides with the opening day of Sig Ada :-)
> >
> > Robert B. K. Dewar
> > Ada Core Technologies
> >

> OS/2 also?  Please please please :)
>
> Vinny

Yes I agree. At the risk of sounding AOLish: 'Me Too!'

I hate having to beg but as an OS/2 user I have grown used to it; I
don't like it but what are you going to do?

Tim

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-21  0:00 ` Alfred Hilscher
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

<snip>

GREAT !

Two questions:

1. What's about OS/2 ? The current version still seem to be 3.10

2.
>   A restricted version of the run time is now provided. This
> version of
>   the run time is automatically used if the appropriate set of
> restrictions

As far as I know, parts of the RT are written in C; does this have the
effect of including the C-RT in the Ada-RT ?

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-21  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> available at
>
>    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

The matching 3.12p of ASIS is now available.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-21  0:00 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> a �crit dans le message :
7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>   The compiler is now built with options -gnatpn instead of
> -gnata.
>   This means that the front end of the compiler is considerably
>   faster, up to 2-3 times faster in some cases.
It seems that ACT doesn't understand at all the current trends in software.
It's been years that I didn't see a new version of a software that wasn't
*slower* than the previous one..... ;-)

           J-P. Rosen (Rosen.Adalog@wanadoo.fr)
Visit Adalog's web site at http://pro.wanadoo.fr/adalog

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-21  0:00 ` Andrew Lynch
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Lynch @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar (dewar@gnat.com) wrote:
: A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
: available at

:    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

: for GNU/Linux and Sparc Solaris. Other versions to follow very
: shortly, as well as RPM's for Linux (from the GNAT/Linux
: group).

Will there be a 3.12p for mips-sgi-irix6.2? (ie. N32 executables)

www.gnat.com lists IRIX 6.x2 (?) as supported platform for the
commercial GNAT, but 3.11p is for IRIX 5.3.

Andrew Lynch.

P.S. Please let me know if there's anything wrong with the
headers, as this is the first time I am posting from home
(and I'm sure I've forgotten to set up something...)

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-21  0:00   ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 1999-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
> > A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> > available at
> >
> >    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
> The matching 3.12p of ASIS is now available.

Hmm..I don't see it.

Also I know how you hate dates but will there be a 3.12p NT release or will
we have to
wait unil 3.13

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-22  0:00     ` mitch
From: mitch @ 1999-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <k5KkYrrKO9v1-pn2-EUok6DdpIGrf@slip129-37-157-88.on.ca.prserv.net>,
tjerick@ibm.net says...

>I hate having to beg but as an OS/2 user I have grown used to it; I
>don't like it but what are you going to do?

Switch to linux ;)

mitch

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-22  0:00 ` Chris Morgan
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Morgan @ 1999-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:

> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> available at

I did wonder whether specially printing out all the gnat 3.11p
documentation doubled-sided (two runs through my little printer)
punching it and binding it all together and putting it on my reading
stack for this weekend might well flush out a newer version. Well
worth it of course.

Chris
--
Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://mihalis.net

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-23  0:00       ` Tim Erickson
From: Tim Erickson @ 1999-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 01:13:00, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> In article
> <k5KkYrrKO9v1-pn2-EUok6DdpIGrf@slip129-37-157-88.on.ca.prserv.ne
> t>,
> > Yes I agree. At the risk of sounding AOLish: 'Me Too!'
> >
> > I hate having to beg but as an OS/2 user I have grown used to
> it; I
> > don't like it but what are you going to do?
>

> Well as some of you know I think, I am also an OS/2 user, and
> recently we have enhanced our OS/2 support capabilities, so a
> public version of 3.12p for OS/2 will be forthcoming.

My French is limited but: Merci Beaucoup!

Tim Erickson

[polyglot mode today]

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-23  0:00           ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 1999-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:58:10 GMT, Kent Paul Dolan <xanthian@well.com> wrote:

>it took me less than 80 characters of typing to bring up gnat 3.11(p?)
>from the /usr/ports/lang/gnat directory.  Color me _extremely_ impressed.

modern unixen are getting so much easier to use than Windows for
anything beyond even *very* basic tasks... (I still haven't managed to
succesfuly install Star Office mind[1]), software installation and
removal is miles ahead these days.

>I don't have any Linux experience yet with which to make a comparision,

rpm -F gnat*.rpm [for rpm based distros]
[some equally short one line command for debian]

>PC-Clone platform, and a usable gnat development platform (probably
>better lots than that, but my experience is limited to one non-trivial
>Ada 95 program developed there, so far).

Practically all the platforms are good for gnat IME, although some are
better than others (unix vs windows), but YMMV. Emacs is good.

- Aidan

[1] This is all because of the glibc maintainers mind...
--
"I say we just bury him and eat dessert"
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-23  0:00 ` James E. Hopper
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: James E. Hopper @ 1999-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the mac users (yes there are a few of us ;-) ) I have been using
3.12a2 for a while so i should get the 3.12p ready to go in the next
few days.  Thanks ACT for another excellent update!

jim hopper

--------------

@ 1999-10-23  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

As the original announcement said:

>for GNU/Linux and Sparc Solaris. Other versions to follow very
>shortly, as well as RPM's for Linux (from the GNAT/Linux
>group).

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn80uqtt.s6.aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk>,
  aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:36:57 +0200, Jean-Pierre Rosen
> <rosen.adalog@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> >It seems that ACT doesn't understand at all the current
trends in software.
> >It's been years that I didn't see a new version of a software
that wasn't
> >*slower* than the previous one..... ;-)
>
> Linux 2.0.x --> Linux 2.2.x
>
> (I haven't been around long enough to remember pre 2.0)
>
> It's quite common in the free software world...
>
> - Aidan (it's especially nice when it's your operating system
that
> does it)

Well to be fair, the new version of OS/2 is also dramatically
faster than the old version, particularly in the file system
department, which is quite impressive, as OS/2 runs circles
around other x86 systems (including Linux) when it comes to
the file system (GNAT for instance links in 7 seconds on my
quite slow notebook machine).

From: Tim Erickson @ 1999-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:48:21, mitch@nospam wrote:

> In article <k5KkYrrKO9v1-pn2-EUok6DdpIGrf@slip129-37-157-88.on.ca.prserv.net>,
> tjerick@ibm.net says...
>
> >I hate having to beg but as an OS/2 user I have grown used to it; I
> >don't like it but what are you going to do?
>
> Switch to linux ;)
>
> mitch

No joy there . . . ;-)

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-23  0:00         ` Kent Paul Dolan
From: Kent Paul Dolan @ 1999-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<k5KkYrrKO9v1-pn2-stdjgLq29qgd@slip129-37-157-226.on.ca.prserv.net>,
Tim Erickson <tjerick@ibm.net> wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:48:21, mitch@nospam wrote:

>> In article
>> <k5KkYrrKO9v1-pn2-EUok6DdpIGrf@slip129-37-157-88.on.ca.prserv.net>,
>> tjerick@ibm.net says...

>> >I hate having to beg but as an OS/2 user I have grown used to it; I
>> >don't like it but what are you going to do?

>> Switch to linux ;)

>No joy there . . . ;-)

Well, I've been using FreeBSD for about three weeks now in a new job, and
it took me less than 80 characters of typing to bring up gnat 3.11(p?)
from the /usr/ports/lang/gnat directory.  Color me _extremely_ impressed.

  make clean
  make all
  make install clean distclean

was _all_ I had to do after getting to the correct directory and
sudo-ing in as root.

I don't have any Linux experience yet with which to make a comparision,
but judged on its own, FreeBSD is a _very_ viable alternative OS for a
PC-Clone platform, and a usable gnat development platform (probably
better lots than that, but my experience is limited to one non-trivial
Ada 95 program developed there, so far).

--
Kent Paul Dolan.
<xanthian@well.com> <xanthian@aztec.asu.edu> <xanthian@whistle.com>

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-24  0:00   ` James E. Hopper
From: James E. Hopper @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

when Robert announced the release of 3.12p someone pointed out that the
3.12 version of asis was not in nyu site.  Shortly there after robert
posted a note that said something like its there now.  i notice the
only version of asis in the asis folder is 3.11p, did you mean
something else Robert, or is it just on its way ;-)

best  jim

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-24  0:00   ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <231019991644109306%hopperj@macconnect.com> , "James E.
Hopper" <hopperj@macconnect.com> wrote:

> For the mac users (yes there are a few of us ;-) ) I have been using
> 3.12a2 for a while so i should get the 3.12p ready to go in the next
> few days.  Thanks ACT for another excellent update!

Are you referring to the CodeBuilder/MachTen version, or to the LinuxPPC
version?

Is anyone on the Ada-for-Linux team working on the LinuxPPC port?

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-24  0:00             ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <19991024.4004772@db3.max5.com>,
  David Botton <David@Botton.com> wrote:
> As a FreeBSD user/fan (I certainly plugged it a couple of
times at=20
> SigAda), I second the motion.

Could I suggest that the injudicious flame bait (perhaps even
a deliberate troll) advising the OS/2 user to switch to Linux
is not something that usefully leads to interesting discussion
relevant to the subject line. People will read this thread to
find out about the new version of GNAT. If you really want to
have a "my OS is better than your OS" thread, how about changing
the subject line, thanks :-) :-)

@ 1999-10-24  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3812878f_4@news1.prserv.net>,
  "Matthew Heaney" <matthew_heaney@acm.org> wrote:
> Is anyone on the Ada-for-Linux team working on the LinuxPPC
> port?

I cannot speak for the GNAT-Linux team here, but we have built
this port at Ada Core Technologies, and it looks pretty good,
we have one customer beta testing this port now. Certainly you
can expect this to appear some time in the future.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 1999-10-24  0:00       ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 01:19:26 GMT, Robert Dewar
<robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

>In article <slrn80uqtt.s6.aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk>,
>  aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk wrote:

>> It's quite common in the free software world...

>Well to be fair, the new version of OS/2 is also dramatically
>faster than the old version, particularly in the file system

Really?

Must aquire OS/2 machine...

>around other x86 systems (including Linux) when it comes to
>the file system (GNAT for instance links in 7 seconds on my
>quite slow notebook machine).

I've heard really good things about HPFS, is it the OS design or the
file system itself that's doing it?

- Aidan

--
"I say we just bury him and eat dessert"
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/

* Ada and OS/2
@ 1999-10-24  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn815aue.1oe.aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk>,
  aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk wrote:
> I've heard really good things about HPFS, is it the OS design
> or the file system itself that's doing it?

Well the high performance version is HPFS386, which is what I
use, and it seems to have far more effective caching
capabilities than competitive systems on Linux or NT.

The new file system in the latest versions of OS/2 is a
compeltely new journaling file system, which is supposed
to be still faster, but I have not yet tried this.

I must say that I find OS/2 to be an excellent platform for
Ada development, certainly far better than NT, I am not enough
of a Unix expert to fairly judge Linux as an alternative.

The one measurement I gave is an interesting one, which is
linking the whole of the GNAT compiler (i.e. gnat1). This
used to take about 50 seconds on my note book using 286 HPFS,
and that seems comparable (given the speed of my machine)
with what you see on NT or Linux, but using 386 HPFS, the
link takes about 7 seconds, apparently because of the very
effective caching of object files. Fast linking is always
welcome :-)

Anyway, if you do want to give OS/2 a try, as I noted in a
It is indeed already prepared, and we are just doing some
basic sanity checks on it this weekend before posting it.

It's nice to know there are some fellow OS/2 Ada users out
there, and as I have said before, you can expect better
support for OS/2 GNAT in the future (we actually have two
OS/2 enthusiasts at Ada Core Technologies :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 1999-10-24  0:00               ` Tim Erickson
From: Tim Erickson @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:22:05, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> In article <19991024.4004772@db3.max5.com>,
>   David Botton <David@Botton.com> wrote:
> > As a FreeBSD user/fan (I certainly plugged it a couple of
> times at=20
> > SigAda), I second the motion.
>

> Could I suggest that the injudicious flame bait (perhaps even
> a deliberate troll) advising the OS/2 user to switch to Linux
> is not something that usefully leads to interesting discussion
> relevant to the subject line. People will read this thread to
> find out about the new version of GNAT. If you really want to
> have a "my OS is better than your OS" thread, how about changing
> the subject line, thanks :-) :-)

No worries here. I can spot a troll, good natured or otherwise. :)

Tim

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-24  0:00     ` James E. Hopper
From: James E. Hopper @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew,

i am refering to the Machten/Codebuilder port.  the problem with ppc
linux is that gcc will not boot strap (c or ada) unless you build it
with either egcs or gcc 2.95 neither of which is supported for gnat.
someone has patches to replace the gcc-281.dif patche that come with
gnat, but i havent been able to find them.  i built a cross compiler
using gcc-2.8.1 from intel linux to ppc linux and built 3.11.  it will
build itself, but the compilers (c and ada) that are built from 2.8.1
versions will not build themseves.  i will put more time into it soon
if someone doesnt do it first.  if anyone has egcs (or 2.9.5) patches
to replace the 281 patchs it would help a great deal.

best jim

@ 1999-10-24  0:00           ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-10-24  0:00     ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Heaney

Matthew> Is anyone on the Ada-for-Linux team working on the LinuxPPC
Matthew> port?

The Debian GNAT 3.12p package has been uploaded for Intel and Sparc
architectures. The PPC autobuilder should soon pick it up and build
it. Debian GNU/Linux for Sparc and PPC have had 3.11p a few weeks
after it has been released.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@debian.org

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-25  0:00     ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1999-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James E. Hopper

Jim> Shortly there after robert posted a note that said
Jim> something like its there now.  i notice the only version of
Jim> asis in the asis folder is 3.11p, did you mean something
Jim> else Robert, or is it just on its way ;-)

It is now available on cs.nyu.edu, but has not been picked up yet by
several mirrors.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@ada.eu.org

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-26  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <241019992259444379%hopperj@macconnect.com>,
  "James E. Hopper" <hopperj@macconnect.com> wrote:
> when Robert announced the release of 3.12p someone pointed out
that the
> 3.12 version of asis was not in nyu site.  Shortly there after
robert
> posted a note that said something like its there now.  i
notice the
> only version of asis in the asis folder is 3.11p, did you mean
> something else Robert, or is it just on its way ;-)
>
> best  jim

The 3.12p ASIS is at the cs.nyu.edu site

@ 1999-10-26  0:00       ` James E. Hopper
From: James E. Hopper @ 1999-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry Robert, i didnt realize that ftp.cs.nyu.edu was a different
machine from cs.nyu.edu.  or so it seems, i could find asis 3.12 on one
and not the other.  i will know better next time.

In article <7v311v$3m2$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar

@ 1999-10-26  0:00       ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 1999-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"James E. Hopper" <hopperj@macconnect.com> writes:
> i am refering to the Machten/Codebuilder port.  the problem with ppc
> linux is that gcc will not boot strap (c or ada) unless you build it
> with either egcs or gcc 2.95 neither of which is supported for gnat.
> someone has patches to replace the gcc-281.dif patche that come with
> gnat, but i havent been able to find them.  i built a cross compiler
> using gcc-2.8.1 from intel linux to ppc linux and built 3.11.  it will
> build itself, but the compilers (c and ada) that are built from 2.8.1
> versions will not build themseves.  i will put more time into it soon
> if someone doesnt do it first.  if anyone has egcs (or 2.9.5) patches
> to replace the 281 patchs it would help a great deal.

If someone's building RPMs, I hope it's against Redhat 6.1 and uses
egcs.  GCC 2.95 was released on July 31 and still seems unfit to build
a reliable Linux kernel.  It was rumored by Mr. Dewar that ACT had
donated gnat to be merged into the GCC distribution.  Last I heard, it
was a non-trivial effort to get gnat merged into egcs-1.1.2; but that
was much, much earlier this year.  However, absence of evidence isn't
evidence of absence!  That said, I still have my doubts that an egcs
patch exists for gnat-3.12p.  Does someone know whether we'll see gnat
merged into the gcc-3.0 release?

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>      Phone: (760) 499-9142

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-27  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <261019991006007899%hopperj@macconnect.com>,
  "James E. Hopper" <hopperj@macconnect.com> wrote:
> Sorry Robert, i didnt realize that ftp.cs.nyu.edu was a
> different machine from cs.nyu.edu.  or so it seems, i could
> find asis 3.12 on one and not the other.  i will know better
> next time

ftp.cs.nyu.edu is an alias for cs.nyu.edu, exactly the same
files are at both sites, you must have been looking at the
wrong directory or at the wrong time :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m3wvs9n5y4.fsf@yakisoba.forte-intl.com>,
  Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote:

> If someone's building RPMs, I hope it's against Redhat 6.1 and
> uses egcs.  GCC 2.95 was released on July 31 and still seems
> unfit to build a reliable Linux kernel.

I am not quite sure what you mean here by egcs, since gcc
2.95 is indeed the current version of what was called egs
and is now called gcc.

There is active work to merge the two strands of the technology
now (2.95 is NOT that version, that is simply the latest version
of egcs, and the first such version to be called gcc, reflecting
the decision to merge the technologies into a single tree based
on the egcs development).

In any case 2.95 will definitely not support GNAT, there are
a fair number of fixes in the gcc snapshots (which are kept
up to date with the GNAT patch file) that have not been
integrated into 2.95 yet, and also there are some changes
and updates that have been put into egcs that need revisiting
since they have bugs that show up in the gnat context.

Richard Kenner is a member of the team that is doing the merge,
and on the top of his agenda is to work on this merge. The GNAT
3.12 release is, we hope, the last one built on the old unmerged
technology, but of course we have to see how the two time
scales work out.

Most certainly everyone agrees here that what we need is a
single gcc technology that will support all the front ends
including GNAT, and of course build a reliable kernel. Ada
Core Technologies is working with folks at Cygnus and other
gcc developers to get there as fast as possible, but there
is quite a bit to do.

> It was rumored by Mr. Dewar that ACT had
> donated gnat to be merged into the GCC distribution.

Well it is not a matter of donating it (after all the GNAT
is freely available and part of the GNU project). What we are
doing is to encourage the GNAT/Linux group, that is making the
RPM's to synchronize their development with this new GCC
work, and right now it looks like a good idea to merge the
source bases, so this will definitely happen. The GNAT/Linux
group will act as an home for the development and care of the
versions of GNAT for GNU/Linux and ACT supports that process
by giving them early access to releases etc so that they
can synchronize the RPM process (we expect the RPM's for
3.12p to appear very soon now). I am sure that an RPM for
Redhat 6.1 (among several other versions, including
for sure Debian Linux) will appear then

> Last I heard, it was a non-trivial effort to get gnat merged
> into egcs-1.1.2; but that was much, much earlier this year.

Right, and the situation was quite different then, because that
was before the full merge operation was setup and got going.
It's still not trivial, but it is now on our mainstream
development path.

> That said, I still have my doubts that an egcs patch exists
> for gnat-3.12p.

We don't know of any such patch set, and in fact would be
suspicious of any such patch set appearing, since as noted
above there are many subtle problems in trying to match up
GNAT with the old EGCS.

> Does someone know whether we'll see gnat
> merged into the gcc-3.0 release?

That's precisely the plan, assuming the name of the new
merged version is in fact gcc-3.0 (there is some rediscussion
of this fact), then this is indeed the version at which we
expect the merge to take place, i.e. that is the version of
GCC that we will use internally at ACT, patches we develop
needed by GNAT will go into this tree, and all released
versions of GNAT (both the commercial versions of GNAT
Professional, and the public versions of GNAT) will be based
on this technology.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 1999-10-27  0:00           ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 1999-10-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> a �crit dans le message :
7v5fp4$src$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <261019991006007899%hopperj@macconnect.com>,
>   "James E. Hopper" <hopperj@macconnect.com> wrote:
> > Sorry Robert, i didnt realize that ftp.cs.nyu.edu was a
> > different machine from cs.nyu.edu.  or so it seems, i could
> > find asis 3.12 on one and not the other.  i will know better
> > next time
>
> ftp.cs.nyu.edu is an alias for cs.nyu.edu, exactly the same
> files are at both sites, you must have been looking at the
> wrong directory or at the wrong time :-)

It seems however that ftp.nyu.edu  (no .cs) is a different machine, and this
can cause the confusion

@ 1999-10-28  0:00           ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 1999-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message <7v5ot0$32j$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <m3wvs9n5y4.fsf@yakisoba.forte-intl.com>,
>  Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote:
>
>> Does someone know whether we'll see gnat
>> merged into the gcc-3.0 release?
>
>That's precisely the plan, assuming the name of the new
>merged version is in fact gcc-3.0 (there is some rediscussion
>of this fact), then this is indeed the version at which we
>expect the merge to take place, i.e. that is the version of
>GCC that we will use internally at ACT, patches we develop
>needed by GNAT will go into this tree, and all released
>versions of GNAT (both the commercial versions of GNAT
>Professional, and the public versions of GNAT) will be based
>on this technology.

It is interesting if there exist any plans to add  a compiler/linker
support for individual procedure/function packaging and linking
as in  MSVC to be able to produce applications  that do not
contain unreferenced code (big problem for big common use
monolithic libraries/packages - this was discussed some
time ago).

With such functionality  this would be superior product.

Is ACT is going to push this issue ?

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-28  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> available at
>
>    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

The NT/Win98 version of 3.12p is now available at the above
location (and should be at all mirror sites by now)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 1999-10-28  0:00   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to point out that the single issue connected with COM/DCOM in
Ada that was connected with GNAT is completely resolved by GNAT 3.12p.

This makes GNAT the __ONLY__ Ada compiler capable of creating fully
functioning robust Ada COM objects in both Dll and Exe containers on Win NT.

Also the new link libraries included in 3.12p no longer require the use of
the MS link library OLEAUT32.LIB.

I have adjusted the article:

* Creating COM objects with Ada
http://www.adapower.com/os/make-com.html

to reflect the changes in GNAT 3.12p ( with a few more adjustments to come)

I will be updating the AdaCOM prototypes to target GNAT 3.12p (they
currently target 3.11p and also 3.12p using the make12.bat file) and remove
the Linker_Option clauses that use the MS link library from the framework.

http://www.adapower.com/com

The release version of the tools and frame works for COM/DCOM are in the
works now (including documentation and more). The release versions will be
GPL'd with source available. They will have a new name, look, and framework
to go along with them.... Stay tuned.....

David Botton

@ 1999-10-29  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7v9itk$pui$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
> The NT/Win98 version of 3.12p is now available at the above
> location (and should be at all mirror sites by now)

(sigh). Be warned that installing this version of Gnat will toast your
emacs site-start.el file (just like 3.11p did). If you have entries in
that file you want to keep, be sure you have a backup copy.

--
T.E.D.

@ 1999-10-30  0:00       ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1999-10-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <241019991113025768%hopperj@macconnect.com> "James E. Hopper" <hopperj@macconnect.com> writes:
>i am refering to the Machten/Codebuilder port.  the problem with ppc
>linux is that gcc will not boot strap (c or ada) unless you build it
>with either egcs or gcc 2.95 neither of which is supported for gnat.
>someone has patches to replace the gcc-281.dif patche that come with
>gnat, but i havent been able to find them.

I don't believe they exist as it is a considerable amount of work to
create them.  Moreover, those patches constitute the *easiest* of the
three tasks needed to have GNAT and GCC 2.95 interoperate.

Right now, I'm working on the task of merging in patches to the GCC2
source tree made after the last EGCS merge back into the GCC
development tree.  This is a very nontrivial task because of changes
made during EGCS development.  About 60% of the patches go in
unchanged, about half of the remaining ones represent bugs fixed
independently by EGCS, and the rest need changes, some considerable,
to apply to GCC 2.95.  I've been working on this for the last couple
of days and estimate I'm half done.  That effort would produce the
a set of patches that are similar to what you've asked for.

But there are two much more difficult tasks that also need to be done:

(1) Modify GNAT (specifically Gigi) to reflect changes in GCC
infrastructure and the front-end interface made since 2.8.1.  There
are a set of patches to do some of this (perhaps these are what you
recall seeing), but they are far from complete at this point.

(2) Debug the resulting compiler by runing ACVC and various other test
suites.  This will undoubtably uncover not just bugs in the two steps
above but also bugs in other GCC changes (including the new optimizers)
that only affect Ada code.

Having GNAT work with the latest GCC sources is something that a lot
of people want to see happen, including Ada Core Technologies, the
GCC Steering Committee, and the Ada/Linux group, so it it definitely happen,
but it will be a lot of work and take a lot of time.  The work I mention
above is definitely the first step in that task, though.

* GNAT 3.12p NT/Win98  Was: Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-31  0:00   ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 1999-10-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message <7v9itk$pui$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
>> available at
>>
>>    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
>The NT/Win98 version of 3.12p is now available at the above
>location (and should be at all mirror sites by now)

Downloaded GNAT 3.12p for Windows NT.
Everything is fine except GDB that  comes with it.

Any attempt to run/start  test program  within GDB  results in a message:

'F:\ada_prj/tst.exe' has changed; re-reading symbols.
Can't read symbols from F:\ada_prj/tst.exe : File format  not recognized.

Test program was built with only one flag (-g)  and TST.EXE file
really contains debug info (can see with HEX editor).

There are some other strange things:

After selecting "Options-> Select source file" menu
item GDB lists a number of unexisting directories
including C:/GNATPRO/... , D:/Manual/src/ada/.. etc.

All that looks as if wrong GDB version was packed into distribution.

With 3.11p everything was OK.

Has anyone had the same problem ?

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-10-31  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <MAHS3.31$rV4.3386@typhoon.nyu.edu>,
  kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) wrote:
> (2) Debug the resulting compiler by runing ACVC and various
> other tes suites.  This will undoubtably uncover not just bugs
> in the two steps above but also bugs in other GCC changes
> (including the new optimizers) that only affect Ada code.

Or, probably more likely, only show up (so far) in Ada code.
We apply a rather strenuous set of tests to any new version of
GNAT, including the ACVC tests, and of course in the process,
any new version of GCC is rather thoroughly tested. Quite often
this testing has shown up bugs which can indeed appear in GNU C
or G++ programs, but have not shown up so far. That's not so
suprising, the main core of the GCC code generator is pretty
reliable at this stage, so code generation bugs do not show
up often in any case, and when they do, it is often in fairly
obscure cases. What can happen is that GNAT tends to use a
specific feature of GCC more aggressively than GNU C, e.g.
nested procedures, which are allowed in GNU C, but FAR more
frequently used in GNAT!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 1999-10-31  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7vc8nf$nsk$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> (sigh). Be warned that installing this version of Gnat will
> toast your emacs site-start.el file (just like 3.11p did). If
> you have entries in that file you want to keep, be sure you
> have a backup copy.

Little reminder to Ted and others: Sighing on CLA may be soul
satisfying, but if you want to make a comment on GNAT that
you expect Ada Core Technologies to pay attention to, remember
to send a message to report@gnat.com.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for HPUX
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-01  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:

A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now available at

    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

for HPUX

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Solaris x86
@ 1999-11-01  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7vj2st$8lm$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now available at

    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

for Solaris x86

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Power PC AIX
@ 1999-11-01  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now available at

    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

for Power PC AIX

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Powermac
@ 1999-11-01  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now available at

    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

for Powermac (running under Tenon Code Builder or Machten)

Contributed by Jim Hopper, thankyou very much for your
help in making this port possible Jim!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now available at

    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

for Powermac (running under Tenon Code Builder or Machten)

Contributed by Jim Hopper, thankyou very much for your
help in making this port possible Jim!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for HPUX
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-01  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A public release of the utilities gnatstub (create stub for
package body given package spec) and gnatelim (eliminate unused
subprograms) is now available at

>     ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
> for 3.12p on all targets
>
> Robert Dewar
> Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: GNAT 3.12p NT/Win98  Was: Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for Linux and Sparc Solaris
@ 1999-11-01  0:00     ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--  Rigotti, Kevin  wrote:
--
--  I had a similar problem with 3.11p if there was any difference between
--  my local clock and the fileserver clock when sharing between NT/Unix

This reminded me that we had switched to the daylight saving time
 yesterday and my machine also did that automatically.

Though GDB was running on local machine  I reset system
clock manually once more.

After recompiling  test program  it was running under GDB
without any problems.

May be it would run  OK next day (today)  without  manipulations with
system clock. It just come to my mind after everything has started to work.

Thanks to Kevin for hint.

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky

@ 1999-11-01  0:00     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also see Jim's MacOS page on AdaPower:

http://www.adapower.com/lab/macos

David Botton

@ 1999-11-02  0:00       ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Everything is OK now.

In my second post next day  I described what was the problem.
It had to do with the system automatic change to the daylight saving time.
We had this event  on the  November, 1st.

It just was not the right  day to test GDB :-)

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky

Robert Dewar wrote in message <7vml9v$ptk$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <s1pbhpkoiqi86@corp.supernews.com>,
>  "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> All that looks as if wrong GDB version was packed into
>> distribution.
>
>No, it's more likely some peculiarity or mistake in your
>setup or the installation, lots of people have used this
>package, including GDB, successfully.
>
>These kinds of strange behavior in certain systems seem to
>be part of the NT territory unfortunately (Win98 is even
>worse in our experience).
>
>Try reinstalling from scratch, making sure that you have a
>clean system with a clean registry to start with.
>
>Robert Dewar
>Ada Core Technologies
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for OS/2
@ 1999-11-02  0:00   ` Vincent Marciante
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vincent Marciante @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yippy!

Thanks ACT team, and you, one of a precious few OS/2 champs!

Robert Dewar wrote:

> In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
>
> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> available at
>
>    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
> for OS/2. ...

<snip>

--

@ 1999-11-02  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-11-03  0:00   ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great ! Thanks.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for OS/2
@ 1999-11-03  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Nov3.081721.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> I don't know what EMX is, but if it is not specific to Ada
> I hope Richard Conn will consider it for inclusion on the
> Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROMs.

EMX is an interface program that provides a compatible Unix
like execution environment that is common to OS/2 and DOS.
It would certainly be appropriate to include this as part of
the OS/2 release in the next Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROM (we have
included it in previous OS/2 releases). It is free software
(for Tom, that is free as in free speech :-) and is not
Ada specific!

In any case, EMX is easily downloaded from a number of sources
(CD ROM as a distribution mechanism gets less and less
significant every day as more and more people have decent
internet access). For example, we can provide GNAT Professional
on CD ROM if necessary, but the number of cases in which that
is necessary is much smaller than it used to be.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 1999-11-03  0:00   ` Bill Eriksson
From: Bill Eriksson @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A reliable language on a reliable platform,
what a marriage,
 GREAT, THANKS !

   /Bill

Robert Dewar skrev:

> In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
>
> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> available at
>
>    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
> for OS/2. The latest version of EMX, required by this port, is
> also there. Note that (this is a function of EMX), the OS/2
> port can also be used to build executable programs that will
> run under DOS.
>
> I know this is one several people have been waiting for. I use
> this port myself, and so this is a hello to fellow OS/2 users.
>
> P.S. I strongly recommend installing HPFS386 as your file
> system, this makes quite a difference in performance for this
> port (and indeed with this file system, it seems to be the
> fastest port on the x86).
>
> Robert Dewar
> Ada Core Technologies
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for OS/2
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-03  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

* Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for DEC Unix
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-03  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
 available at

    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

 for DEC Unix.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 1999-11-03  0:00     ` Tim Erickson
From: Tim Erickson @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 04:50:40, Vincent Marciante <mar4ciant@l5i.net>
wrote:

> Yippy!
>
> Thanks ACT team, and you, one of a precious few OS/2 champs!
>
> Robert Dewar wrote:
> >
> > In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> >   Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
> >
> > A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> > available at

Thank you Robert and ACT!

Tim Erickson

* Re: Announcing GNAT version 3.12p for OS/2
@ 1999-11-03  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7voclf$3s0$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:
> In article <7uia7h$kn4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
>
> A new public release of GNAT version 3.12p, is now
> available at
>
>    ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
>
> for OS/2. The latest version of EMX, required by this port, is
> also there.

I don't know what EMX is, but if it is not specific to Ada
I hope Richard Conn will consider it for inclusion on the
Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROMs.

Feel free to correct any misunderstanding I may have about
availability of EMX on CD-ROM.

Larry Kilgallen