* Re: creating folders and sub folders
       [not found] <7te0hb$62h$1@minus.oleane.net>
@ 1999-10-12  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-10-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sybs ALHABSHI wrote:
> can anyone indicate how I may create a folder

I have replied to Sybs' question by e-mail. This includes some code to
create a simple interface to three of the Win32 directory functions
(GNAT/win32ada); if anyone is interested in same, let me know.

May I politely ask, why did no-one else respond to this question? Brief
replies please.

--
Nick Roberts
Computer Consultant (UK)

* Re: creating folders and sub folders
@ 1999-10-12  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-10-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <38029F67.66CC39FF@callnetuk.com>,
  Nick Roberts <nickroberts@callnetuk.com> wrote:
> Sybs ALHABSHI wrote:
> > can anyone indicate how I may create a folder
> May I politely ask, why did no-one else respond to this question?
Brief
> replies please.

I've answered this question twice already in the last few months. Sybs
apparently didn't bother to search deja for a previous asking of his
question. That should always be your first recourse if you are new to a
newsgroup.

If the our FAQ existed and the answer to this were in it (which it
certianly *would* be), that might have helped as well. Right David? :-)

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: creating folders and sub folders
@ 1999-10-13  0:00     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-10-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/12/99, 9:54:22 AM, Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote
regarding Re: creating folders and sub folders:
> If the our FAQ existed and the answer to this were in it (which it
> certianly *would* be), that might have helped as well. Right David?
:-)

It will, it will......

My plate is packed with getting things done (both Ada and non-Ada)
before SigAda. I should get a draft up not long after that.

Want to take a crack at the some Q&A for the FAQ?

I have setup The Ada FAQ Project in the lab on AdaPower at:

http://www.adapower.com/lab/adafaq.html

Just submit, comment, and talk there. If passing along some one else's
Q&A please give me there e-mail address, I have tried to maintain a
strict policy on AdaPower of siting contributors and only posting with
permission and will do this for the FAQ also.

The FAQ will be released under the same style GPL terms as the Linux
Documentation Project manuals.

It is my hopes that every one gets involved in adding to the FAQ and
when needed requesting things be removed or changed. You can join the
project for e-mail updates by submitting your e-mail address on the
chat page.

I will try and get a first draft up after SigAda'99.

David Botton

* Re: creating folders and sub folders
@ 1999-10-14  0:00       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-10-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7u4oko$nqv$1@minus.oleane.net>,
  "Sybs ALHABSHI" <sybs@htsavoie.com> wrote:
> Sybs
> > apparently didn't bother to search deja for a previous asking of his
> > question.
>
> That is not true. The truth is I'm new to news groups. I don't know
> what d�j� is. What is deja ? I've seen that words a few times and I
> thought that's a search engine.

Sort of. Deja has archived all of Usenet for about the last 5 years.
Unless you've got a really weird question, it has probably been asked
before. So generally your first recourse when you have a question
to pose to *any* newsgroup should be to search deja's archive of the
newsgroup to see if your question has been answered already.

--

@ 1999-10-14  0:00     ` Mike Silva
From: Mike Silva @ 1999-10-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmm... I did a search (all messages) on creat* folder*, and also on
Dennison folder*, and didn't find anything except this thread.

Mike

@ 1999-10-14  0:00           ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-10-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Olensky wrote:

> better not to bother to spend time  for that.  Many times
> I noticed that occasionally people spend much more time
> and efforts explaining and reasoning why they won't give
> the answer or explaining what one should do before asking
>  that question though  giving direct answer or hint would
> take twice (or even more) less time.

Maybe the most polite approach should be "The short answer is XXX and you can
find a detailed answer by looking at YYY" where YYY isn't too general. (A
specific URL, the title/author of a book, or some reasonably detailed guide
as to how to get there.) Its easy for all of us who have been around for a
while to take for granted a certain body of experience. And if we hang around
this newsgroup enough, its easy for us to remember the thousands of times the
same questions came up. I suppose every high school teacher gets tired of the
same dumb questions every school year too. We can get a new crop of
"students" every day. :-)

> The only valid reason for irritation is when the SAME person
> asks the SAME question more times than  addressed person
> tolerance threshold which is different for different people
> (from 0 to infinity:-).

I know I have lots of patience for the merely ignorant and even the lazy
(smart?) who might find it easier to ask than to dig for the answer
themselves. (I recall a study that indicated engineers received 75% of their
information from talking to each other on the job rather than looking in
books or any other sources.) I'd have to admit to having my patience go
asymptotic towards zero when confronted with someone who makes the same
mistake repeatedly - or wants to cheat on school projects.

> People with tolerance threshould = 0 should not try
> to answer at all :-)

Wise advice. But we all occasionally like to play the role of Newsgroup
Police. Maybe its the flashy uniforms and nightsticks. :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

* Re: creating folders and sub folders
@ 1999-10-14  0:00     ` Sybs ALHABSHI
From: Sybs ALHABSHI @ 1999-10-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-10-15  0:00               ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7u7acg$2f3$1@minus.oleane.net>,
  "Sybs ALHABSHI" <sybs@htsavoie.com> wrote:
> Are you all congratulating me for being the first bloke to have
> asked a questioned already raised in this group ?  People who master
> such an elegant language as Ada should perhaps find an elegant manner
> to deal with this problem, if this is a problem and if there is indeed
> an eternal way in dealing with the problem. The best way to cope with

The typcial usenet way of dealing with this situation is to put the
frequently asked question in a Frequently Asked Question list (FAQ),
then just point the requestor to the FAQ.

The problem is that our FAQ maintainer put an exclusive copyright to
himself on the FAQ, then quit maintaining it. This issue is now being
worked. But in the meantime we have the current unfortunate situation
where someone who asks a FAQ is liable to either get exasperated answers
or, if everyone is feeling especially civil, no answer at all.

Anyway the "problem" is hopefully a temporary one. In the meantime new
readers here should run their questions through the deja search engine
(at http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml ). This is actually better than a
FAQ, but also a fair bit more work.

--

@ 1999-10-15  0:00         ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 1999-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote in message <7u555v$v9a$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <7u4oko$nqv$1@minus.oleane.net>,
>  "Sybs ALHABSHI" <sybs@htsavoie.com> wrote:
>> Sybs
>> > apparently didn't bother to search deja for a previous asking of his

                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !
>> > question.
>>
>> That is not true. The truth is I'm new to news groups. I don't know
>> what d�j� is. What is deja ? I've seen that words a few times and I
>> thought that's a search engine.
>
>Sort of. Deja has archived all of Usenet for about the last 5 years.
>Unless you've got a really weird question, it has probably been asked
>before. So generally your first recourse when you have a question
>to pose to *any* newsgroup should be to search deja's archive of the
>newsgroup to see if your question has been answered already.

! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think that the best search engine is the human mind.
If someone in the news group already knows/remembers
the answer and it does not take more than few minutes
to give the answer why not to do so.

If giving the answer would take more than just few minutes
one might just give the hint where to search  (archive, time period,
topic name, some keywords, author name).

The word community implies sort of attitude to each other.

But if is there is no desire or time to give the answer it is
better not to bother to spend time  for that.  Many times
I noticed that occasionally people spend much more time
and efforts explaining and reasoning why they won't give
the answer or explaining what one should do before asking
 that question though  giving direct answer or hint would
take twice (or even more) less time.

The only valid reason for irritation is when the SAME person
asks the SAME question more times than  addressed person
tolerance threshold which is different for different people
(from 0 to infinity:-).
People with tolerance threshould = 0 should not try
to answer at all :-)

I think that when FAQs page will be alive again and
cross-referenced from different sites it would reduce
the number of already answered questions.

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky.

* Re: creating folders and sub folders
@ 1999-10-15  0:00             ` Sybs ALHABSHI
From: Sybs ALHABSHI @ 1999-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Are you all congratulating me for being the first bloke to have asked a
questioned already raised in this group ?  People who master such an elegant
language as Ada should perhaps find an elegant manner to deal with this
problem, if this is a problem and if there is indeed an eternal way in
dealing with the problem. The best way to cope with a question already
answsred, as far as I am concered, is to it. It takes you ten seconds to
open the message, decide to reply or to not, and get on with your life. When
I didn't get any reply in the begining, I thought I've raised a problem ada
programmers can't handle. Luckily Nick replied to save my confidence in this
group.

Can't a question already answered a year back find new answers today ?  If
Ada programmers are incapable of imagination and progress, then maybe it's
worthwhile that this community work on a  program that scans a message for
already answered questions, generate a robotic reply and block it from being
published. Shall we now waste more time to meditate on the question "To
answer or not to answer". Will newcomers be invited to meditate on the
question "To ask or not to ask." prior to requesting for some good advise ?
Isn't that now the question ?

If every ada programmer use the same words to explain the same concepts in
answering the same questions then I fear for the future of Ada. But we are
not robots are we ? We are humain being with a spiritual dimension, and Ada
is merely a tool. So how else do you  propose to promote an elegant spirit
in this community that matches the elegance of your language if you start
cursing a newcomer for asking a question already raised ?

Telling me it's already raised and pointing to where I can get the answers
is good. Mailing me a sample of code for analysis is better. Giving YOUR
point of view is excellent, because that's what I'm looking for. I suppose
this community is wealthy in knowledge. Some of you are excellent
programmers, others are excellent teachers and I won't expect all these
qualities to fit in everyone in this community or this is heaven. I'm sorry
if my questions irritate you. You now know my name. You can avoid all my
future messages. But I'm still sorrier for the impression it may give to
other newcomers who hope to find in this newsgroup a wide array of
approaches in dealing with a problem.

If I grant that cursing is one approach, will you agree that it's not the
best ?

Sybs