* Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07  7:53 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2003-03-07  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm going to release an Ada package (UniParser - a library for creating
grammar parsers). Gnat uses long filenames. What is the best solution
for release:

I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).

Should I:

- Release in .tar.gz (Hey, Windows users, are you all able to
extreact?)

- Use file names shortened to 8.3 (krunching)

- Any other solution?

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07  8:07 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-03-07  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:
> I'm going to release an Ada package (UniParser - a library for creating
> grammar parsers). Gnat uses long filenames. What is the best solution
> for release:
>
> I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
> by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).
>
> Should I:
>
> - Release in .tar.gz (Hey, Windows users, are you all able to
> extreact?)

As a linux user I constantly get to web-pages that more or less say: Oh
you don't use Internet Explorer, beat it. So it is very tempting to only
release in .tar.gz to get back. However, this is of course not correct.
So release in both .tar.gz and .zip. This is common practise.

--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07  8:19 ` tmoran
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: tmoran @ 2003-03-07  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
> by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).
  Surely there are Linux "zip" utilities that will handle long filenames.
The pkzip25.exe I use on Windows does, and it's dated 4/15/1998

> - Release in .tar.gz (Hey, Windows users, are you all able to extreact?)
  Personally, I prefer .zip

> - Use file names shortened to 8.3 (krunching)
  You could give any sort of name and tell folks they have to run
gnatchop to get long names.  An extra step, but it works.

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07  8:45 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2003-03-07  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:

> I'm going to release an Ada package (UniParser - a library for creating
> grammar parsers). Gnat uses long filenames. What is the best solution
> for release:
>
> I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
> by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).
>
> Should I:
>
> - Release in .tar.gz (Hey, Windows users, are you all able to
> extreact?)

It would work perfectly well for both Linux and Windows. BTW, there is a
standard extension for tag+gzip = ".tgz". It is known to WinZip,
WinCommander and other Win-stuff.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07 11:02   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2003-03-07 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <b49m55$1u1kao$1@id-77047.news.dfncis.de>,
> Victor Porton wrote:
>
>> I'm going to release an Ada package (UniParser - a library for creating
>> grammar parsers). Gnat uses long filenames. What is the best solution
>> for release:
>>
>> I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
>> by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).
>>
>> Should I:
>>
>> - Release in .tar.gz (Hey, Windows users, are you all able to
>> extreact?)
>
> It would work perfectly well for both Linux and Windows. BTW, there is a
> standard extension for tag+gzip = ".tgz". It is known to WinZip,
> WinCommander and other Win-stuff.

I was not clear and you misunderstood. I'm not about the archive file
name, but about file names inside the archive.

@ 2003-03-07 11:07   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2003-03-07 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <gCY9a.387565$be.359466@rwcrnsc53>,
	tmoran@acm.org writes:
>> I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
>> by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).
>   Surely there are Linux "zip" utilities that will handle long filenames.
> The pkzip25.exe I use on Windows does, and it's dated 4/15/1998

Linux "zip" handles long filenames, but Linux "zip" is incompatible
with some wide spread Windows utilities in regard of long filenames.

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-03-07 11:28 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-03-07 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:
> I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
> by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).

What do you mean by this? I have no problem zip-ing on Linux with a long
name and unziping it in windows. I don't think windows accept filenames over
31 characters though.

--

@ 2003-03-07 13:34     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-03-07 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:
> Linux "zip" handles long filenames, but Linux "zip" is incompatible
> with some wide spread Windows utilities in regard of long filenames.

Which zip on linux do you use (version) and which unzip on Windows.

--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}
{||'                                           http://www.amnesty.org/

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-03-07 15:13 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-03-07 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

porton@ex-code.com (Victor Porton) writes:

> I'm going to release an Ada package (UniParser - a library for creating
> grammar parsers). Gnat uses long filenames. What is the best solution
> for release:
>
> I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
> by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).
>
> Should I:
>
> - Release in .tar.gz (Hey, Windows users, are you all able to
> extreact?)

There are many facilities for Windows that support .tar.gz; eg WinZip,
Cygwin. It's a better format; just use that.

Also, please use the .tar.gz file extension for the archive. Someone
else suggested .tgz. There is _no_ reason to stick with just three
letters, and we will soon run out of reasonable three letter
extensions (if we haven't already :). .tar.gz indicates the file is
processed first by tar and then by gzip; that's a very nice name.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-03-07 17:16 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2003-03-07 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

porton@ex-code.com (Victor Porton) writes:

> Should I:
>
> - Release in .tar.gz (Hey, Windows users, are you all able to
> extreact?)

Yep, only .tar.gz, this is even supported by Winzip.

pascal.

--|

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07 18:10       ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2003-03-07 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrnb6h7sk.58j.randhol+news@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no>,
	Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> writes:
> Victor Porton wrote:
>> Linux "zip" handles long filenames, but Linux "zip" is incompatible
>> with some wide spread Windows utilities in regard of long filenames.
>
> Which zip on linux do you use (version) and which unzip on Windows.

Linux: Zip 2.3 (November 29th 1999).

Windows: misc as I remember.

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07 19:48 Gautier direct_replies_not_read
From: Gautier direct_replies_not_read @ 2003-03-07 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

# Victor Porton:
# I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
# by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).

Of course they do, but be sure they are Win32 and not DOS.
e.g.:
zip  - http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/
7-zip - http://www.7-zip.org/
kzip - http://www.advsys.net/ken/utils.htm#kzip
winzip - http://www.winzip.com/ (GUI)

A special case is PKZIP/PKUNZIP 2.50 for DOS which uses the DOS interrupt
provided by the Virtual DOS Machine of Windows 95, 98, ME, but NOT
of NT,2K,XP, to handle long names.
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07 20:32 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-03-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A special case is PKZIP/PKUNZIP 2.50 for DOS which uses the DOS interrupt
> provided by the Virtual DOS Machine of Windows 95, 98, ME, but NOT
> of NT,2K,XP, to handle long names.
  Could you explain this please?  I use pkzip25 in a DOS window on
w2k and XP.  It announces itself
PKZIP(R)  Version 2.50  FAST!  Compression Utility for Windows 95/NT  4-15-1998
Copyright 1989-1998 PKWARE Inc.  All Rights Reserved. Shareware Version
and has no problems with long file names.  It is a single program with
-add and -extract parameters, rather than a pkzip and separate pkunzip.
(Except for long file names, it's a step down from their capabilities.)
Is there a different program pair also with version number 2.50?

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07 21:25   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-03-07 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> writes:

> What do you mean by this? I have no problem zip-ing on Linux with a long
> name and unziping it in windows. I don't think windows accept filenames over
> 31 characters though.

That probably depends on the version of Windows you are using, but NT
and 2K are both happy with (eg)

  house_management-button_to_lamp-selection_function.adb

-- 54 characters, not by any means the longest.

I use PowerArchiver, which cost all of $13 to license; my company uses
WinZip (WinZip32?).

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-07 21:48   ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2003-03-07 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

All PKZip products done in recent years handle long file names. Given how
long that DOS has effectively been dead, one can safely assume that any
current tool will handle long file names. The 8+3 filename convention has
joined the same scrap heap of history as Unix file systems with 16 bit
inodes.

* Re: Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?
@ 2003-03-08  9:40     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2003-03-08  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:

> In article <b49m55$1u1kao$1@id-77047.news.dfncis.de>,
> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
>> Victor Porton wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to release an Ada package (UniParser - a library for creating
>>> grammar parsers). Gnat uses long filenames. What is the best solution
>>> for release:
>>>
>>> I work under Linux. Windows archivers do not accept ZIP files created
>>> by Linux "zip" with long filenames (more than 8.3).
>>>
>>> Should I:
>>>
>>> - Release in .tar.gz (Hey, Windows users, are you all able to
>>> extreact?)
>>
>> It would work perfectly well for both Linux and Windows. BTW, there is a
>> standard extension for tag+gzip = ".tgz". It is known to WinZip,
>> WinCommander and other Win-stuff.
>
> I was not clear and you misunderstood. I'm not about the archive file
> name, but about file names inside the archive.

Surely tar handles long names, if that was the question. This is one of the
reasons why I am using tag+gzip since GNAT came. Other is that it is
possible to write a batch file under Win32, which would create an archive.
Third is that it is free.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov