From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: GPLv3 and the GMGPL
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:16:28 -0500
Date: 2006-02-07T23:16:28-05:00	[thread overview]

Nick Roberts wrote:

> I am curious. Does anyone have any plans to use the GPLv3 for an Ada
> project? If so, why? Do you think it would obviate the need for the GNAT
> modification for your project?

I don't see anything in that wording that attempts to take the place of
the GMGPL.

It is solving a different problem. If I were to release a general
purpose library under the GPL V3 and someone used it to create a
program, they would be required to license their program under the GPL
(or at least a "free" as in speach software license). That is fine if
that is what I want, but if I want something closer to a slightly
relaxed set of LGPL rules I still need GMGPL to get there for a language
like Ada or C++.

The new exception in the GPL V3 is there so that if I create a program,
and I want it to be a GPL program, I can meet the terms of the GPL when
I distribute the source code without having to distribute source code
for the OS, compiler and standard libraries (e.g. florist) in order to
be GPL compliant.