* slow xforms
@ 1999-09-29  0:00 Bernhard Rumpler
From: Bernhard Rumpler @ 1999-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

We have severe problems when using aforms (Forms Library Ada Bindings,
V 0.86.0) Our distributed system depends on this library, all GUIs are
implemented with aforms so we can't avoid using it.
The problem is that the performance becomes extremly bad when we work
with tasks or protected types. When we try to create the distributed
partitions of our program (with gnatdist) the same problem occurs. Every
pixmap-load lasts for seconds, the whole program needs about 3 minutes
to start (normally it takes only a few seconds).

cause we need this mechanism especially for synchronisation we thought
of
an interface to a C-function using semaphores.

Has anyone an idea where our problem could be? Are there any
disadvantages when solving the problem with a C-interface?

Thanks for any help,
Martin, Bernhard
--
Bernhard Rumpler  <mailto:rumpler@eunet.at>
http://www.auto.tuwien.ac.at/~rumpler

* Re: slow xforms
@ 1999-09-29  0:00 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 1999-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bernhard Rumpler <rumpler@eunet.at> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> We have severe problems when using aforms (Forms Library Ada Bindings,
> V 0.86.0) Our distributed system depends on this library, all GUIs are
> implemented with aforms so we can't avoid using it.
> The problem is that the performance becomes extremly bad when we work
> with tasks or protected types. When we try to create the distributed
> partitions of our program (with gnatdist) the same problem occurs. Every
> pixmap-load lasts for seconds, the whole program needs about 3 minutes
> to start (normally it takes only a few seconds).

Of couse if you work with tasks and xforms you need to be careful since
X and xforms are not thread safe...I am not sure what is causing the
slowness
but I would imagine that the makers of xforms (who you have paid a license
fee to since this is not free SW unless not used for commecial purposes)
 might be able to help you.

It can be a little hard to get help in cases like this but if you frame your
question in terms
of problems working with threads they may be able to help.

Jeff Creem