From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <alejandro@mosteo.com>
Subject: Re: Temporary variables
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 11:43:34 +0100
Date: 2010-02-02T11:43:34+01:00	[thread overview]

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> Recently, more and more WWW writers writing about programming
> seem to prefer the phrase "temporal variable" to "temporary
> variable", for exmple, in the Ada wikibook.  I don't know
> English well, but I had thought (and have checked) that
> "temporal" is not the same as "temporary".  It is either
>
> (a) "temporal", the opposite of "spiritual" (that which is
> not eternal like the spirit, but physical), or
>
> (b) an adjective next to dimension as in "temporal and spatial
> dimensions of the universe", or
>
> (c) referring to temple, a word of cranial anatomy.  See the
> "temporal line" in
> http://www.face-and-emotion.com/dataface/physiognomy/cranium.jsp
>
> Translations of "temporary" into the dialects of Latin
> do not seem to justify "temporal" for "temporary" either.
> On the contrary.  Neither do these sources, AFAICT:
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/temporal
> http://www.wordreference.com/enru/temporary

In Spanish, "temporal" is a proper translation for "temporary". The
authoritative source[1] lists your "temporal(en)" meaning as first one,
while "temporary" would be the second one:

[1] http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=temporal

You have right there a false friend going around, perhaps, adding to the
noise.

One could argue that in Spanish, "transitoria" is a more precise term (and
indeed the first meaning /is/ "temporary"). But it is longer, and I have
never heard it either in class or in work. "Variable temporal" is the
standard form over here.

Google speaks:

"Variable temporal" 42.000 results.
"Variable transitoria" 72 results.