* Re: can anyone make a book recommendation: Barnes' APIA, ben-ari's AFSE...
@ 1999-09-14  0:00 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 1999-09-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

spamlessinseattle10@my-deja.com wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Has anyone any recommendation/comments on
> the following texts:
>
> "Ada-programming in Ada95"
> 2nd ed.
> John Barnes
>
> "Ada for software engineers "
> m.ben-ari
>
> At a quick glance, although AFSE is smaller,
> and more expensive, it flows more.
>
> APIA seems like I could learn Ada from it,
> but it's more structured.
>
> Can anyone recommend a comparable work?
>
> I aim to learn Ada just for the hell of it.
>
> TIA

They are both outstanding books.  I would highly recommend reading both.
Probably Barnes' book is better to learn Ada for the first time but
"Ada for SW Engineers" is great for the experienced programmer.

Jerry
=  Jerry Petrey - Consultant Software Engineer  - Member Team Ada
=                 Lockheed Martin                 Member Team Forth

* Re: can anyone make a book recommendation: Barnes' APIA, ben-ari's AFSE...
@ 1999-09-14  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-09-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7rkcpc$n39$1@nnrp1.deja.com> , spamlessinseattle10@my-deja.com
wrote:

> "Ada-programming in Ada95"
> 2nd ed.
> John Barnes

I really like this book, and recommend that you read it.

> "Ada for software engineers "
> m.ben-ari

I have it, but haven't read it yet.

> I aim to learn Ada just for the hell of it.

I do a lot of work with implementing design patterns in Ada95.  Maybe you
can learn some stuff by playing around with someone else's toy programs.

If you're interested, you can subscribe to the Ada95 patterns list by
sending the message (body)

subscribe patterns <your full name>

to the ACM mailing list server.

<mailto:listserv@acm.org>

In the meantime, you can visit an archive of the patterns I and others have
already implemented.

<http://www.acm.org/archives/patterns.html>

Matt

* Re: can anyone make a book recommendation: Barnes' APIA, ben-ari's AFSE...
@ 1999-09-14  0:00 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 1999-09-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

spamlessinseattle10@my-deja.com wrote:

>"Ada-programming in Ada95"
>2nd ed.
>John Barnes

I've looked at this one a few times, but it always leaves me cold.
There seems to be something missing that I can't quite put my finger
on.

>"Ada for software engineers "
>m.ben-ari

I haven't really looked at this one yet.

>Can anyone recommend a comparable work?

I've always found "Ada as a Second Language" by Norman H Cohen to be
excellent.

Best Regards
John McCabe <john@assen.demon.co.uk>

* can anyone make a book recommendation: Barnes' APIA, ben-ari's AFSE...
@ 1999-09-14  0:00 spamlessinseattle10
From: spamlessinseattle10 @ 1999-09-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

Has anyone any recommendation/comments on
the following texts:

"Ada-programming in Ada95"
2nd ed.
John Barnes

"Ada for software engineers "
m.ben-ari

At a quick glance, although AFSE is smaller,
and more expensive, it flows more.

APIA seems like I could learn Ada from it,
but it's more structured.

Can anyone recommend a comparable work?

I aim to learn Ada just for the hell of it.

TIA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: can anyone make a book recommendation: Barnes' APIA, ben-ari's AFSE...THANKS
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-09-15  0:00 ` spamlessinseattle10
From: spamlessinseattle10 @ 1999-09-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the suggestions.

@ 1999-09-15  0:00   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-09-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don't forget, you can use the application at http://www.adapower.com/books
to find the on-line vendor with the best price. I also always check
http://www.booksamillion.com since the ACSES search engine I link to doesn't
cover it and it usually does have the best price.

(This is not one of those amazon.com partner plugs. No one gets a cut when
or if you purchase.)

David Botton

<7rn0dv$i31$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...

@ 1999-09-23  0:00   ` Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 1999-09-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37decc0c.3329643@news.demon.co.uk>,
  john@assen.demon.co.uk.nospam (John McCabe) wrote:
> spamlessinseattle10@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >"Ada-programming in Ada95"
> >2nd ed.
> >John Barnes
>
> I've looked at this one a few times, but it always leaves me cold.
> There seems to be something missing that I can't quite put my finger
> on.
>
> >"Ada for software engineers "
> >m.ben-ari
>
> I haven't really looked at this one yet.
>
> >Can anyone recommend a comparable work?
>
> I've always found "Ada as a Second Language" by Norman H Cohen to be
> excellent.

   I can't agree more.

   With all due respect to JB, frankly, there is no comparison
   between his book and N. Cohen's. The breadth of the discussions,
   the depth of the topics analyzed, the examples and excellent,
   insights, etc. Without appearing to wax too poetic, the effort
   and dilligence that went into Norm's
   book simply emanates from the pages.

   I have heard it argued that Barnes' book and Norm's book are meant
   to address two differ audiences; Barnes' for the true newbie, Norm
   for the "power Ada developer to be". Maybe. However, I find Norm's
   book powerful
   yet amenable to easily moving from the simplest of concepts to the
   sublime in terms of understanding.

   Although a bit pricier, IMHO, Norm's book is orders of magnitude
   a better value for anyone who really wants to understand and
   exploit the language.

   Joe