From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <alejandro@mosteo.com>
Subject: Re: Embedded systems programmers worldwide earn failing grades in C
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:09:35 +0100
Date: 2010-01-21T11:09:35+01:00	[thread overview]

Keith Thompson wrote:

> "Alex R. Mosteo" <alejandro@mosteo.com> writes:
>> alexandru.chircu@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.edadesignline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222300710
>>>
>>> I leave the witty remarks to the more regular posters here :).
>>
>> I just took it, and scored 7/10, with the caveat that
>>
>> 2 of my failures were partial (I chose one were several were valid), so I
>> didn't chose wrong code.
>>
>> The other is that I rejected a solution that all compilers accepted, so I
>> would never write it.
>>
>> All in all, I have not chosen a single unsafe answer :P
>
> Are you sure about that?  I took the test myself, and as far as I
> could tell there was exactly one correct answer for each question,
> though some of the incorrect answers were incorrect for fairly subtle
> reasons.

Well, yes, that's why I scored 7/10 and not 9/10 :P. But in two that I
failed, the right one was "all of the above are correct", so my choice
wasn't "wrong", in the sense that the answer I chose wasn't unsafe or not
portable, which seemed to be the main gripe for the testers.

I see that as a problem with how the questions were formulated. I'm not very
fond of these kind of tests precisely because it's too easy to ask the wrong
questions. Anyway, I was just joking around ;)