* ADA/ CAREER POSITION/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-07-26  0:00 Tom Gugger
From: Tom Gugger @ 1999-07-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is an excellent company with a first class relocation package.

[-- Attachment #2: Sr ADA.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 803 bytes --]

                         OMNI GROUP
                         1-888-900-1896
                         ehutch@norden1.com

 We are now recruiting ADA programmers for an
excellent career opportunity with a major company.
These positions offer competitive salaries, excellent
benefits, additional training, and strong advancement
opportunities. Relocation assistance is offered by
the company.
 This position is located in FT. Wayne In., a recently
rated top city to live in. The housing costs are very
low, matched with a low crime and booming economy.
Primary schools are rated very favorably, and the
area colleges match the best. (IU, Purdue,ND etc)
 If interested, email ehutch@norden1.com with your
resume, or call toll free 1-888-900-1896.

                                      Thanks--Tom Gugger

* Re: Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-08-09  0:00     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." wrote:

> What used to be Magnavox became part of Hughes Aircraft, several years ago,
> and in late 1997, the defense portion of Hughes became part of Raytheon.
>
> As to the weather .... I won't disagree.

Its getting so you can't tell the players without a scorecard! ;-) I seem to
recall many years ago they were early Ada adopters for something called
"Advanced Artillery Tactical Field Data System" - or something pretty much like
that. I didn't know that the company had changed hands. I'd be curious about
what projects are still being done there in Ada.

Weather? We're in the midst of the Hot&Humid Season, to be followed by the
changing colors of the license plates, indicating the start of Tourist Season.
Its a great place for Ada Software Engineers to live. Now if I can only get
Magnavox/Hughes/Raytheon to decide to let me telecommute, we might have a deal
for this "Exceptional Opportunity" :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> Although I am not looking for a job, and I have nothing against Ft. Wayne,
> this particular opening has been posted enough that I think it the sort of
> case where one should take a programmer who wants the Midwest and teach
> them Ada. Or "software engineer" if you prefer, but I am not the sort
> to give great weight to job titles.

I'd be inclined to agree. Anyone with a sufficient background in software engineering ought to be
able to learn Ada and become competent in it in less time than this position seems to have been
open. Possibly, they need someone who would fit into a "key designer" role where long term
experience in Ada would be much less easily replaced.

Or maybe the money is laughable? Or there are really dozens of jobs behind this offer and they
have not filled them all? Lots of speculation is possible.

MDC
--

@ 1999-08-09  0:00       ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote in message <37AF1830.AD32C8AF@pwfl.com>...
>"David C. Hoos, Sr." wrote:
>

>> What used to be Magnavox became part of Hughes Aircraft, several years
ago,
>> and in late 1997, the defense portion of Hughes became part of Raytheon.
>>
>> As to the weather .... I won't disagree.
>
>Its getting so you can't tell the players without a scorecard! ;-) I seem
>recall many years ago they were early Ada adopters for something called
>"Advanced Artillery Tactical Field Data System" - or something pretty much
like
>that. I didn't know that the company had changed hands. I'd be curious
about
>what projects are still being done there in Ada.

It's called AFATDS (Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System) -- still
going, and I'd bet that's the project with the opportunity.

* Re: Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-08-09  0:00         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7on7et$pqu@hobbes.crc.com>, "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> writes:

> It's called AFATDS (Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System) -- still
> going, and I'd bet that's the project with the opportunity.

Presumably Ada was chosen because it is not limited to
31-character identifiers :-).

* Re: Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-08-09  0:00   ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> Tom Gugger wrote:
>
> > This is a very good company, with an excellent relo package.

> >                          OMNI GROUP
> >                          1-888-900-1896
> >                          ehutch@norden1.com
> >
> >  We are now recruiting Sr Ada programmers for an
>
> <Snip>
>
> Ft. Wayne, IN? That's got to be Magnavox. I've been to Indiana & I think
> Florida is a bit warmer - at least in winter. My idea of an "excellent relo
> package" is if they will relocate the company to West Palm Beach. (I could get
> them a dozen or so top notch Ada programmers if they did!) Or maybe they'll
> let me telecommute? :-)
>
> Marin David Condic

Actually it's Raytheon now.  We just had a guy leave here to go there.

Jerry
=  Jerry Petrey - Consultant Software Engineer  - Member Team Ada   =
=                 Lockheed Martin                 Member Team Forth =

* Re: Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-08-09  0:00   ` David F. Harrison
From: David F. Harrison @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

...> Ft. Wayne, IN? That's got to be Magnavox. I've been to Indiana & I
think
> Florida is a bit warmer - at least in winter. ...

There are worse things than cold.  (Aligators come to mind.  8-)
--
David F. Harrison  -  SIGAda '99 Publicity Chair/Webmaster
http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada99/

* Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-08-09  0:00 Tom Gugger
From: Tom Gugger @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a very good company, with an excellent relo package.

[-- Attachment #2: Sr ADA.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 806 bytes --]

From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Gugger wrote:

> This is a very good company, with an excellent relo package.

>                          OMNI GROUP
>                          1-888-900-1896
>                          ehutch@norden1.com
>
>  We are now recruiting Sr Ada programmers for an

<Snip>

Ft. Wayne, IN? That's got to be Magnavox. I've been to Indiana & I think
Florida is a bit warmer - at least in winter. My idea of an "excellent relo
package" is if they will relocate the company to West Palm Beach. (I could get
them a dozen or so top notch Ada programmers if they did!) Or maybe they'll
let me telecommute? :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis
United Technologies, Pratt & Whitney, Large Military Engines
M/S 731-95, P.O.B. 109600, West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600
***To reply, remove "bogon" from the domain name.***

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

* Re: Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-08-09  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37AEE768.8C7C0A9B@pwfl.com>, Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com> writes:
> Tom Gugger wrote:
>
>> This is a very good company, with an excellent relo package.
>>
>>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>                          OMNI GROUP
>>                          1-888-900-1896
>>                          ehutch@norden1.com
>>
>>  We are now recruiting Sr Ada programmers for an
>
> <Snip>
>
> Ft. Wayne, IN? That's got to be Magnavox. I've been to Indiana & I think
> Florida is a bit warmer - at least in winter. My idea of an "excellent relo
> package" is if they will relocate the company to West Palm Beach. (I could get
> them a dozen or so top notch Ada programmers if they did!) Or maybe they'll
> let me telecommute? :-)

Although I am not looking for a job, and I have nothing against Ft. Wayne,
this particular opening has been posted enough that I think it the sort of
case where one should take a programmer who wants the Midwest and teach
them Ada. Or "software engineer" if you prefer, but I am not the sort
to give great weight to job titles.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-08-09  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Aug9.105514.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:

> this particular opening has been posted enough that I think it the
> sort of case where one should take a programmer who wants the
> Midwest and teach
> them Ada. Or "software engineer" if you prefer, but I am not the sort

That won't do much good if you want someone who is experienced with Ada.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-08-09  0:00   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-08-10  0:00     ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 1999-08-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37AF6504.A959B615@apci.net>,
	"David F. Harrison" <dfh@apci.net> wrote:

>Marin David Condic wrote:
>>
>....> Ft. Wayne, IN? That's got to be Magnavox. I've been to Indiana & I
>think
>> Florida is a bit warmer - at least in winter. ...
>
>There are worse things than cold.  (Aligators come to mind.  8-)

Which reminds me of an Ada class I was teaching at a Navy base.  We
came to the subject of access types.  As I began to discuss dynamic
allocation, one of the civilian employees of the Navy in the back of
the room raised his hand and asked, "Richard, does this mean we are
going to be up to our access types in allocators?"

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com
http://www.adaworks.com

* Re: Ada/ Career Position/ Exceptional Opportunity
@ 1999-08-10  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-08-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  dharrison@acm.org wrote:
> Marin David Condic wrote:
> >
> ...> Ft. Wayne, IN? That's got to be Magnavox. I've been to Indiana &
> think
> > Florida is a bit warmer - at least in winter. ...
>
> There are worse things than cold.  (Aligators come to mind.  8-)

Don't forget the coral snakes, and fire-ants, and encephalitis-carrying
mosquitoes, and the feral pigs...

And of course this time of year, Floridians are mowing their lawns twice
a week.

--

@ 1999-08-10  0:00 Tom Gugger
From: Tom Gugger @ 1999-08-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excellent company, with an excellent relo package.

@ 1999-08-10  0:00       ` Jeff Carter
From: Jeff Carter @ 1999-08-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada@list.deja.com

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Richard D Riehle wrote:

> >There are worse things than cold.  (Aligators come to mind.  8-)
>
> Which reminds me of an Ada class I was teaching at a Navy base.  We
> came to the subject of access types.  As I began to discuss dynamic
> allocation, one of the civilian employees of the Navy in the back of
> the room raised his hand and asked, "Richard, does this mean we are
> going to be up to our access types in allocators?"

Look up "alligator" in the AARM's index.

Jeff Carter

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

@ 1999-08-10  0:00     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-08-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David F. Harrison" wrote:

> There are worse things than cold.  (Aligators come to mind.  8-)
> --

Oh, we have quite a few gators out here in the front yard of Pratt's
engineering building, but as long as you don't try to feed them or pet
them, they're content to soak in the sun and go for a swim from time to
time. Pretty much the same way I am when the weekend comes around.

MDC
--

@ 1999-08-15  0:00 Tom Gugger
From: Tom Gugger @ 1999-08-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)