From: Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com>
Subject: Re: need editor
Date: 1999/09/11
Date: 1999-09-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <37D975A7.9BBA26DC@collins.rockwell.com>,
  "David W. Glessner" <dwglessn@collins.rockwell.com> wrote:

> > Note that although the Ada-mode of EMACS can be used with
> > any Ada compiler, the full power of this tools is only
available
> > when used in an integrated development environment that
includes
> > GNAT. For example, jumping to a declaration requires the
cross-
> > reference information generated by GNAT.
>
> No, GNAT isn't required.
>
> Rational's Apex provides an emacs/ada-mode combination with
> similar functionality.  It looks like they modified emacs
> 19.30

Just to be clear, when I talk about "the Ada mode of EMACS",
I am talking about the official FSF distribution as maintained
by Emmanuel Briot of ACT for FSF, based on the latest version
of EMACS. And this indeed can only provide this kind of
functionality for GNAT.

Most certainly, since EMACS is programmable, there may be
non-FSF versions that do all kinds of things, and indeed I
believe that Rational technology does make use of some of the
GNU technology (including I think RCS), but this EMACS
version are not "the Ada mode of EMACS".

However, there is still a LOT of useful functionality in
this mode that can be used with any Ada 95 compiler, it is
only semantic issues, like finding declarations, that need
the input from the compiler. Our philosophy in maintaing
the Ada mode is to accomodate other Ada compilers where
this can be done without too much extra effort, but
naturally the FSF project favors GNU software over
proprietary software, so specific compiler-dependent
work in the official EMACS release will always generally be
keyed to GNAT.

We make a significant effort to make sure that the Ada mode
keeps up to date with the very latest Emacs releases. We also
try to be as compatible as we can with XEmacs, and will likely
fully support XEmacs in the future.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/