From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Ada takes control of Internet Explorer
Date: 1999/09/10
Date: 1999-09-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7rb94q$30dk$1@news.gate.net>,
  "David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote:
> The plan
>
> 1. Get Ada to 'rock' on NT better then VB and VC++
> 2. Get people to switch to Ada
> 3. Write an Ada OS
> 4. Move the world from Win32 to AdaOS128+ :)
>
> Actually I mostly use FreeBSD (BTW AdaPower runs on FreeBSD), but the
masses
> are on Win32 and need shepherding :)

The funny thing is that I mostly use NT, but my perspective is quite
different.

I think the "masses" that are on Win32 are users, who generally don't
know and could care less what language was used for their software. Of
course that means that the most development goes on there too. But
that's mostly folks who are writing code because they *have* to.

The real action appears to be on the OpenSource Unix OS's. If you win
the hearts and minds of those developers, the rest of the world will
inexorably follow. With that in mind, my plan would be.

1. Start implementing useful OpenSource Software utilities in Ada until
Ada is an established "alternate language" for OSS development.
2. Start implementing device drivers and kernel plugins in Ada, until
that is also an unexceptional practice.
3. Start subverting the Linux kernel itself by submitting patches in
Ada...

By the end of this process you will have an entire OS written in
Ada...and it will be Linux. Plus now that Ada is routinely used in all
this cutting-edge OSS work, it will be an easy sell for commercial
projects.

But as I said, we have two different perspectives. And anyway, perhaps
its best if this problem gets attacked in multiple directions at once.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/