* Re: Newbie with questions
@ 1999-09-02  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37CEF309.29B2F079@mnsinc.com>, John Behen <mindgasm@mnsinc.com> writes:

> Once again, thanks for the help. But a quick question.  How hard is Ada
> to integrate into web design?  Or is that a road I don't want to
> travel.....

Certainly Ada will fit into web site _implementation_ as well as any
compiled language. Typically people see the strength of Ada as being
not so much whether it will fit into a particular setting (generally
yes) but rather once it is there how well it avoids bugs.  Of course
bugs come not from the language but from the programmer and how the
programmer uses the language.  Ada has many features to facilitate
avoiding errors in your programs, and that is what many of us cherish.
You can get that benefit, by the way, without using every single feature
in the language.  Tasking is a major feature of Ada, but I went for
years without ever using tasking (I use it now).  I don't think I
have ever used floating point math, because I don't work on that sort
of problem.

But you asked about web "design", and I am not sure Ada is particularly
relevant to the "design" part, unless you were writing a program to help
designers and chose to write it in Ada.  Of course there are many programs
already out there to do that, and a lot of Ada people have quality as
their main objective, so they readily admit that a high-quality program
already written in some other language is better than writing from scratch
just to have it in Ada.

There are some programs out there however, even in Ada, that are not
high quality.

Larry Kilgallen

* Newbie with questions
@ 1999-09-02  0:00 John Behen
From: John Behen @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I took a basic course in Ada95 about 1 1/2 years ago.  It definitely
piqued my interest, but also showed me that I have a lot to learn.
Aside from the FAQ, which I am reading as I write this, where is the
best place to start?  Thank you in advance for the help....

John

* Re: Newbie with questions
@ 1999-09-02  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Behen

John Behen wrote:

> I took a basic course in Ada95 about 1 1/2 years ago.  It definitely
> piqued my interest, but also showed me that I have a lot to learn.
> Aside from the FAQ, which I am reading as I write this, where is the
> best place to start?  Thank you in advance for the help....

You may have already heard of http://www.adahome.com/ where there are
links to tutorials and other useful resources. See also
http://www.AdaPower.com/ for similar resources. From my page (see
trailer) you can find links to a number of other Ada related pages as
well as some useful Ada source code.

I'd suggest as a good way to pick up on Ada (or any language) that you
get hold of a compiler and work through some small illustrative example
programs - either from an Ada textbook or from questions you can derive
on your own. (My Ada page has a bunch of small programs I use for an
in-house class to illustrate individual language features, etc.) You
could also get the Ada Reference Manual (See Adahome) and look through
it to familiarize yourself with the rich set of features available to
you. I've found it useful to look over features and write small example
programs to try to figure out how to use them. Another good way to learn
the language is to pick some relatively small application and decide to
implement it in Ada. Your first program won't be a masterpiece, but
you'll learn as you go.

You can get a good Ada compiler from ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/ for the
price of a download. (Versions available for most popular machines)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

* Re: Newbie with questions
@ 1999-09-02  0:00   ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mindgasm

Marin David Condic wrote:

> John Behen wrote:
>
> > I took a basic course in Ada95 about 1 1/2 years ago.  It definitely
> > piqued my interest, but also showed me that I have a lot to learn.
> > Aside from the FAQ, which I am reading as I write this, where is the
> > best place to start?  Thank you in advance for the help....
> >

> You may have already heard of http://www.adahome.com/ where there are
> links to tutorials and other useful resources. See also
> http://www.AdaPower.com/ for similar resources. From my page (see
> trailer) you can find links to a number of other Ada related pages as
> well as some useful Ada source code.

And you might also want to check out the Ada Information Clearinghouse:

   http://www.adaic.org/

> MDC
> --
> Marin David Condic
> Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis
> United Technologies, Pratt & Whitney, Large Military Engines
> M/S 731-95, P.O.B. 109600, West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600
> ***To reply, remove "bogon" from the domain name.***
>
> Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)

* Re: Newbie with questions
@ 1999-09-02  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Behen <mindgasm@mnsinc.com> wrote in message
> I took a basic course in Ada95 about 1 1/2 years ago.  It definitely
> piqued my interest, but also showed me that I have a lot to learn.
> Aside from the FAQ, which I am reading as I write this, where is the
> best place to start?  Thank you in advance for the help....

A good place to start might be the Lovelace Tutorial,
available on the Web at
http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37CE9C3E.A36EF4D2@averstar.com>, Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com> writes:
> Marin David Condic wrote:

>> You may have already heard of http://www.adahome.com/ where there are

> And you might also want to check out the Ada Information Clearinghouse:
>
>    http://www.adaic.org/

If one of these various sites would mention the others _prominently_,
we could direct everyone to that one.

Larry

* Re: Newbie with questions
@ 1999-09-02  0:00 ` John Behen
From: John Behen @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all for the help, and this does give me a good step in the
right direction.  For what its worth, I fit the example of the "victim"
in the Re:Kindness post.  I have been on several unrelated newsgroups,
and the response here has been more than positive in comparison.
Perhaps something with the maturity level necessary to invest the time
to learn an incredibly structured language............

@ 1999-09-02  0:00   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:58:34 -0400, John Behen <mindgasm@mnsinc.com> wrote:

> Once again, thanks for the help. But a quick question.  How hard is Ada
> to integrate into web design?  Or is that a road I don't want to
> travel.....

We, Averstar and ACT offer Ada to Java byte code generators, so you can use Ada
as you would Java. There's a free download included in our compiler for Windows at
www.aonix.com

- Ed Falis
Aonix

* Re: Newbie with questions
@ 1999-09-02  0:00       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Then just send them to:

http://www.adapower.com/links.html

Every known Ada link should be there and is updated daily.

If you know of a site that is not listed let me know.

David Botton

Larry Kilgallen wrote in message <1999Sep2.125521.1@eisner>...
>In article <37CE9C3E.A36EF4D2@averstar.com>, Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
writes:
>> Marin David Condic wrote:
>
>>> You may have already heard of http://www.adahome.com/ where there are
>
>> And you might also want to check out the Ada Information Clearinghouse:
>>
>>    http://www.adaic.org/
>
>If one of these various sites would mention the others _prominently_,
>we could direct everyone to that one.
>
>Larry

* Re: Newbie with questions
@ 1999-09-03  0:00   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen