* ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-06-24  8:10 alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2018-06-24  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Ada Community

I am pleased to announce the initial release of VisualAda. This is a extension
(aka plugin) for Visual Studio 2017 and is made freely available. Some or the
features of VisualAda are:

1) Full edit, build and debug integration
2) GIT, and TFS source control integration
3) Limited Intellisense (For now)
4) Project templates targeting both Desktop and UWP based applications (Note
for UWP applications you will need the Ada/Winrt bindings available on GitHub)

Please feel free to download the plugin from the following URL

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AlexGamper.VisualAda

Thanks

Alex

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-06-25  1:29 ` Shark8
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shark8 @ 2018-06-25  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you!

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-06-25  9:22   ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2018-06-25  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 11:29:05 AM UTC+10, Shark8 wrote:
> Thank you!

Hi Shark8

My pleasure! Please feel free to ask questions/raise issues or request either
on this forum or on the Visual Studio Gallery website

@ 2018-06-27 18:49 ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-06-27 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great! Thx!

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-06-29  2:16 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2018-06-29  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 1:10:10 AM UTC-7, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Ada Community
>
> I am pleased to announce the initial release of VisualAda.>
> Alex

Can Mac users benefit from your plugin?
Jerry

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-06-29  2:56     ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2018-06-29  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 5:22:26 AM UTC-4, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 11:29:05 AM UTC+10, Shark8 wrote:
> > Thank you!
>
> Hi Shark8
>
> My pleasure! Please feel free to ask questions/raise issues or request either
> on this forum or on the Visual Studio Gallery website
>
> Alex

Thank you so much for making this.  One question, any licensing issues
from the templates and such (I.E. GPL only vs not)?  I haven't taken
a close look yet to see, but figured I would ask.

At some point I need to set this up and see how it works with MSYS2.

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-06-29  3:23   ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-06-29  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 9:16:31 PM UTC-5, Jerry wrote:
> On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 1:10:10 AM UTC-7, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Dear Ada Community
> >
> > I am pleased to announce the initial release of VisualAda.>
> > Alex
>
> Can Mac users benefit from your plugin?
> Jerry

The so-called Visual Studio for Mac is really the old Xamarin Studio rebranded.  Visual Studio for Mac has very few of the features of the actual Visual Studio (for Windows 10).  That could change in the medium-to-long-term future, but not anytime real soon.

I occasionally take a survey as a Microsoft previewer/beta-tester for forthcoming dot-releases of Visual Studio 2017.  Among that multitude of questions was one to prioritize whether Microsoft should port the actual Visual Studio to MacOS.  They have asked twice in the past year, so the concept is being debated as a potential priority at Redmond.  Once actual Visual Studio is ported to MacOS year(s) from now, then plug-ins for actual Visual Studio (on Windows 10) could conceivably be practical to be reworked & released somehow for MacOS's port of actual Visual Studio.

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-06-29  7:37       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-06-29  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-06-29 04:56, Jere wrote:

> Thank you so much for making this.

I concur.

> At some point I need to set this up and see how it works with MSYS2.

Normally there is no problem linking GCC things with VS. I had minor
problems with generating import libraries from GCC. I found no better
way than manually creating a def-file and it was quite boring. I hope
that VisualAda automates that.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-06-29  9:22 ` Tomek Wałkuski
From: Tomek Wałkuski @ 2018-06-29  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks! Is the source code available somewhere?

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-06-30  1:26       ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2018-06-30  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 12:56:57 PM UTC+10, Jere wrote:
> On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 5:22:26 AM UTC-4, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 11:29:05 AM UTC+10, Shark8 wrote:
> > > Thank you!
> >
> > Hi Shark8
> >
> > My pleasure! Please feel free to ask questions/raise issues or request either
> > on this forum or on the Visual Studio Gallery website
> >
> > Alex
>
> Thank you so much for making this.  One question, any licensing issues
> from the templates and such (I.E. GPL only vs not)?  I haven't taken
> a close look yet to see, but figured I would ask.
>
> At some point I need to set this up and see how it works with MSYS2.

Hi Jere

Their is no licensing issue with using the templates at all. They are intended
to just be a starting point for you. But bear in mind that VisualAda uses what
ever GNAT/GCC toolchain you have installed, be it AdaCore CE or FSF

@ 2018-06-30  8:12         ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2018-06-30  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 5:37:07 PM UTC+10, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 2018-06-29 04:56, Jere wrote:
>
> > Thank you so much for making this.
>
> I concur.
>
> > At some point I need to set this up and see how it works with MSYS2.
>
> Normally there is no problem linking GCC things with VS. I had minor
> problems with generating import libraries from GCC. I found no better
> way than manually creating a def-file and it was quite boring. I hope
> that VisualAda automates that.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 5:37:07 PM UTC+10, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 2018-06-29 04:56, Jere wrote:
>
> > Thank you so much for making this.
>
> I concur.
>
> > At some point I need to set this up and see how it works with MSYS2.
>
> Normally there is no problem linking GCC things with VS. I had minor
> problems with generating import libraries from GCC. I found no better
> way than manually creating a def-file and it was quite boring. I hope
> that VisualAda automates that.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Hi Dmitry

Thanks for your support, and I'll look into your idea of what I see as
a "Binding generator" for native win32 libraries. A possible approach
may be to "re-surface" so to speak, the legacy win32 Api currently used
(which is extremely outdated) to a more "user friendly" and up to date Api

@ 2018-06-30 23:19     ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2018-06-30 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 8:23:26 PM UTC-7, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 9:16:31 PM UTC-5, Jerry wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 1:10:10 AM UTC-7, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Dear Ada Community
> > >
> > > I am pleased to announce the initial release of VisualAda.>
> > > Alex
> >
> > Can Mac users benefit from your plugin?
> > Jerry
>
> The so-called Visual Studio for Mac is really the old Xamarin Studio rebranded.  Visual Studio for Mac has very few of the features of the actual Visual Studio (for Windows 10).  That could change in the medium-to-long-term future, but not anytime real soon.
>
> I occasionally take a survey as a Microsoft previewer/beta-tester for forthcoming dot-releases of Visual Studio 2017.  Among that multitude of questions was one to prioritize whether Microsoft should port the actual Visual Studio to MacOS.  They have asked twice in the past year, so the concept is being debated as a potential priority at Redmond.  Once actual Visual Studio is ported to MacOS year(s) from now, then plug-ins for actual Visual Studio (on Windows 10) could conceivably be practical to be reworked & released somehow for MacOS's port of actual Visual Studio.

Thank you for the clarification. I don't see any indication on the Visual Studio web site that the Mac offering is a different product. And then there is Visual Studio Code, whatever that is. There are currently two Ada plug-ins for Visual Studio Code.

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017)
@ 2018-07-01 13:04       ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2018-07-01 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 16:19:02 -0700 (PDT), Jerry <list_email@icloud.com>
declaimed the following:

>Thank you for the clarification. I don't see any indication on the Visual Studio web site that the Mac offering is a different product. And then there is Visual Studio Code, whatever that is. There are currently two Ada plug-ins for Visual Studio Code.

	For the most part... An editor where everything is a plug-in (even just
printing a file required a plug-in). One needs to define JSON entities to
define tasks for building and debugging -- looks like the default supplied
debug configuration has four ways to launch PowerShell (current file,
current file in temp console, current file with prompt for arguments,
attach to host process).