From: Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com>
Subject: Re: URGENT: year 2000 compliance
Date: 1999/08/29
Date: 1999-08-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7ptt39$c4o@hobbes.crc.com>,
  "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:

> =:-) Vincent <vincent.brosseau@bruker.fr> wrote in message
> > Does anybody know if GNAT 3.10p is Y2K compliant ?
> >
> According to the gnat website (http://www.gnat.com), it is.

No, that is incorrect. The statement on the web site is a formal
compliance statement that refers ONLY to the supported
GNAT Professional version.

Ada Core Technologies cannot make any formal guarantees of
any kind, and in particular, cannot make any formal Y2K
compliance statements, for any public version of the
compiler, or any version not obtained directly from us
as part of a support contract.

That being said, it is worth remembering that the public
versions of GNAT are essentially the same code base as
GNAT Professional, and so, if what you have is indeed the
public version that we originally supplied (we have no
way of assuring this), then it is likely that it does
not have Y2K related bugs (we certainly do not introduce
any such bugs into the public version).

The important thing to realize is that asking if a product
is Y2K compliant is quite different from asking if there
are troublesome Y2K related bugs. Compliance is about
formal guarantees, and such guarantees cannot be provided
for the public versions of GNAT, at least not by ACT.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/