From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: ada < - > java bindings wanted
Date: 1999/08/20
Date: 1999-08-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7pjm8u$on1$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <37BD0169.B49F73A5@acenet.com.au>,

> Finally, are you sure your software is indeed open source?
> Has your license been approved as a legitimate open source
> license? Remember that the phrase open source is protected,
> and you should only use this phrase if you are sure that
> your license has been approved (another reason for using
> one of the standard licensing vehicles).

According to http://www.opensource.org/certification-mark.html, that's
not quite true. "OpenSource" could not be trademarked, so the
certification mark is "OSI Certified".

Does the GMG enjoy this status? I wrote ESR on this subject once, but
didn't get a response. But that was before the "OSI Certified" mark was
set up, and of course he's a very busy individual.

I don't think meerly reading the OpenSource definition (
http://www.opensource.org/osd.html ) is enough, as to my mind clause 9
disqualifies the GPL, yet it is listed as being approved (
http://www.opensource.org/certification-mark.html#approved-licenses ).

Given the number of folks using the GMG, it would be nice to have it on
the approved list. I'd be happy to put it up for approval, but if it is
already pending or approved I don't want to waste anyone's time. Also
given that changes may be requested and it is an ACT-created license,
the folks at ACT may prefer to shepherd the submission.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/