From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: PC as bare machine?
Date: 1999/08/19
Date: 1999-08-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7phsdr$haq$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ada2001 <ada2001@my-deja.com> wrote:
> I am starting on a embedded Ada development project that will
ultimately
> run on a custom Intel CPU target board. The final target
hardware will
> not be available for a few months.  I am wondering if it is
possible to
> use a standard PC as a bare machine development platform until
I get the
> real target board.  Has anyone done this or know of any papers
> describing how to boot a PC with a dedicated program (no
operating
> system)?

Remember that DOS is not an operating system in the normal
sense at all, there is nothing between you and the bare board.
Yes, there are some system services you can call, but if you
don't call them, they do nothing but take up a bit of space.

If you really don't want to even have DOS loaded, then it is
perfectly easy to write a program that will be boot loaded.
The easiest thing is to get hold of an old tech ref manual
that shows how the BIOS loads a program.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/