From: Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: performance of Generic and strings
Date: 1999/08/13
Date: 1999-08-12T20:16:19-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <7ovq7d$km$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
	Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:

>You have been informed exactly wrong (or misunderstood :-)
>It is FAR FAR easier to do macro expansion, and indeed the
>design of Ada 95 pretty much assumes macro expansion for
>specs. Bodies can be shared, but general sharing of bodies
>is VERY VERY tricky, ask Randy Burkhardt :-)

Also, ask Terry Dunbar.  The TLD compiler used for some of the
communication satellite software on a 1750A required a code
sharing model.  There is a consequent trade-off between time and
memory.  On a 1750A, there is little of either, but certainly more
of time than memory.   Yes, I know about the MMU, but the MMU cannot
be used on most satellites.  Takes too much real-estate and draws
too much power.

I wonder what kind of model Terry will use for Ada 95.  I heard he would use
GNAT, but that would run counter to the model of his Ada 83 design.  Anyone
heard from Terry lately?

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com
http://www.adaworks.com