From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: windows programming tutorials
Date: 1999/08/11
Date: 1999-08-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7oqv9v$7sl$1@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,
  "John Duncan" <jddst19+@pitt.edu> wrote:

> Except that the NT l&f is very, very slow. The beautiful thing
about Emacs
> is having the most used keys on the home row and under the
index fingers.

> If it weren't such a hard habit to break, i'd switch caps-lock
to control.

> I'm not looking to start a war about this, just thought I'd
state that
> everyone should at least *try* the emacs l&f before switching
it to NT.

Well I was simply giving my advice based on experience. Most
NT folks will dislke the standard L&F, simply because it is
so unfamiliar. The "so slow" comment is probably irrelevant'
to many NT users who much prefer using the mouse to cryptic
key sequences. The trouble with the standard EMACS L&F is that
it can easily put people off completely very quickly if they
are used to a windowsy environment, and it is important to
know that you do NOT have to live with what you may well
perceive (quite reasonably) from a Winwdows point of view
as a junky interface.

In my experience, the ONLY people who have felt as John does
are those who learn EMACS in a Unix environment and then come
to a NT environment later.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/