* Any other Ada MUD projects out there?
@ 1999-08-07  0:00 David Kristola
From: David Kristola @ 1999-08-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I guess i can't get enough software engineering/Ada
programming at my day job, i have started working on
a Multi-User Dungeon (MUD).  I asked around on
alt.mud.programming if there was anyone else out there
using Ada, and got no responses.  Are there any MUD
coders hiding over here?

From memory (and Deja), the topic has turned up several
times over the years, but i never saw any "I'm done now,
come visit my Ada MUD" announcements.  Did anyone ever
finish?

If anyone would like to share notes, either post or
email me at the below address.  I have some starting
UML on my website, more will appear later.  Hmmm,
maybe AdaPower would be a good place to "hide" some
reusable components.

--djk, keeper of arcane lore & trivial fluff
Home: David95037 at aol dot com
Spam: goto.hades@welovespam.com

* Re: Any other Ada MUD projects out there?
@ 1999-08-08  0:00 ` Brian Collins
From: Brian Collins @ 1999-08-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David,

I started on a MUD project in Ada back in the late 80's using VAX/VMS Ada.
Unfortunately I never got the project finished and I don't know what became
of the source code.  I also coded up a version of Trader which was a popular
BBS game at the time written in Pascal which I was porting to Ada.  I
actually got that to run, but again I don't know what happened to the source
code.  I will look around and see what I can find.  Cheers.

Brian
brian.collins@www.mebbs.com

@ 1999-08-08  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-08-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let me know what you need and I will do my best to make it happen.

David Botton
www.adapower.com

@ 1999-08-09  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1999-08-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kristola wrote:

> I guess i can't get enough software engineering/Ada
> programming at my day job, i have started working on
> a Multi-User Dungeon (MUD).  I asked around on
> alt.mud.programming if there was anyone else out there
> using Ada, and got no responses.  Are there any MUD
> coders hiding over here?
>
> From memory (and Deja), the topic has turned up several
> times over the years, but i never saw any "I'm done now,
> come visit my Ada MUD" announcements.  Did anyone ever
> finish?

We built an Object-oriented MUD ("MOO") interpreter in Ada.
It understands the "LambdaMOO" dialect.  The work on the
interpreter has been dormant for the past year or so, but
we still run the interpreter regularly.  It was compiled with
GNAT, and takes advantage of the GCC-generated debug information
to integrate with the "Texas" Object-Oriented Database (OODB) via
an Ada binding to ODMG-93.

If you are interested, we could look into making some
or all of it available, perhaps via some kind of Open Source
arrangement.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)

* Re: Any other Ada MUD projects out there?
@ 1999-08-10  0:00   ` David Kristola
From: David Kristola @ 1999-08-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article B1731F14@averstar.com, Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com> () writes:
>We built an Object-oriented MUD ("MOO") interpreter in Ada.
>It understands the "LambdaMOO" dialect.  The work on the
>interpreter has been dormant for the past year or so, but
>we still run the interpreter regularly.  It was compiled with
>GNAT, and takes advantage of the GCC-generated debug information
>to integrate with the "Texas" Object-Oriented Database (OODB) via
>an Ada binding to ODMG-93.
>
>If you are interested, we could look into making some
>or all of it available, perhaps via some kind of Open Source
>arrangement.
>
>--
>-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
>Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)
>AverStar (formerly Intermetrics, Inc.)   Burlington, MA  USA

Thank you!

I am not sure i will be interested in running it, but
i would love to have a look at the code.  Maybe after
seeing it, i will fall in love with the basic design
and go from there.

If it was open source, or had some form of public
license, maybe we could place a copy in a lab area
on AdaPower.  I have always felt that games were
a good learning tool for new programmers, and code
examples are a good place to start.