From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: Profiler?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:42:59 -0500
Date: 2006-11-22T10:42:59-05:00	[thread overview]

Harald Korneliussen wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good profiler for programs written in Ada?

I usually just select the profiling options from the menu in the builder
after ensuring the auxclock rate is what I expected.
.
.
.

Confused...So are we.

My response might make sense to someone using Greenhills Adamulti with a
vxWorks target.

What compiler, OS, IDE, etc are you using?

If I try to make an assumption (and I could get this wrong) and assume
by Ada you mean GNAT and then assume that perhaps you mean Linux I can
say that gprof is actually an "ok" profiler. It is not great but it gets
the job done.

If you make use of Ada tasking, you will run into the well known issue
with gprof and threads under Linux (only the main program gets counted)
but the workaround here

http://sam.zoy.org/writings/programming/gprof.html

works just fine (you build a shared library and then use LD_PRELOAD to
wrap pthread_create as you execute your program.

Of course, I could have guessed wrong and perhaps you are using Rational
Apex or some other compiler and or OS in which case this is not really
going to be very helpful.