* GWindows Status
@ 2003-09-17 17:26 Jeff
From: Jeff @ 2003-09-17 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the status of GWindows?  The links at AdaPower.com appear to be
broken and a quick google search did not result in any alternate sites
or mirrors.

Also, assuming it is still alive, does it provide a good solution for
native Window guis or are there better alternatives?

-- Jeff

* Re: GWindows Status
@ 2003-09-17 19:08 ` Stephane Richard
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-09-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergio Gomez has a download of it here:
http://www.etse.urv.es/~sgomez/ada/

It's revision 1.4 of GWindows (I believe it's the latest version, someone
may correct me if I'm wrong :-).

I'd say you best take a look at it yourself to see if it answers your needs.
--
St�phane Richard
Senior Software and Technology Supervisor
"Jeff" <jeff.huter@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> What's the status of GWindows?  The links at AdaPower.com appear to be
> broken and a quick google search did not result in any alternate sites
> or mirrors.
>
> Also, assuming it is still alive, does it provide a good solution for
> native Window guis or are there better alternatives?
>
> -- Jeff

* Re: GWindows Status
@ 2003-09-17 19:58 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-09-17 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

There seems to be some issue. The files are on the server, but are not
being served. It should be fixed shortly.

GWindows is a good solution for native Windows GUIs, but commercial
support is only available for CLAW at this time from RR Software.

David Botton

Jeff wrote:

>What's the status of GWindows?  The links at AdaPower.com appear to be
>broken and a quick google search did not result in any alternate sites
>or mirrors.
>
>Also, assuming it is still alive, does it provide a good solution for
>native Window guis or are there better alternatives?
>
>-- Jeff

* Re: GWindows Status
@ 2003-09-17 20:02 ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-09-17 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff wrote:
> What's the status of GWindows?  The links at AdaPower.com appear to be
> broken and a quick google search did not result in any alternate sites
> or mirrors.
>
> Also, assuming it is still alive, does it provide a good solution for
> native Window guis or are there better alternatives?

It lives.  David Botton posted to the gnavi list (the gwindows list) a
few weeks ago after somethings went missing on the website.  He said he
was working on things, but was very busy so it was a slow process.
David also indicated problems with his isp servers and files going
missing before transferring to the new server.

IMO for windows development Gwindows is very good.  I started using it
when I developed soley for windows and found it very easy to work with.
  I'd use it now, but there isn't a linux port and I don't fancy messing
with Wine.

Chris

* Re: GWindows Status
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-09-17 20:08 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-09-17 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

The server has been repared. Everything should be available now.

It looks like AdaPower will have a co-webmaster soon.... so, updates
should be coming :-)

David Botton

Jeff wrote:

>What's the status of GWindows?  The links at AdaPower.com appear to be
>broken and a quick google search did not result in any alternate sites
>or mirrors.
>
>Also, assuming it is still alive, does it provide a good solution for
>native Window guis or are there better alternatives?
>
>-- Jeff

* Re: GWindows Status
@ 2003-09-17 20:18   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-09-17 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:

> GWindows is a good solution for native Windows GUIs, but commercial
> support is only available for CLAW at this time from RR Software.

Commercial support is also available for GtkAda from ACT.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GWindows Status
@ 2003-09-17 20:34     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-09-17 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

That is not a native Windows GUI solution.

David Botton

@ 2003-09-18  2:34   ` Fionn mac Cuimhaill
From: Fionn mac Cuimhaill @ 2003-09-18  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:08:14 -0400, David Botton <david@botton.com>
wrote:

>The server has been repared. Everything should be available now.
>
>It looks like AdaPower will have a co-webmaster soon.... so, updates
>should be coming :-)

Just checked - I can't get in at all -

"Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."

>David Botton

Furthermore, I still can't receive anything from the gwindows/GNATCOM
mailing list; would it be possible to set up a news server with a
bidirectional gateway to the mailing list? Or maybe a web archive of
the mailing list?

David Gressett
res1nntftomato@verizon.cucumber.net

(remove the vegetables to get good e-mail address)