* textures, GlUT3.7 and Ada95
@ 1999-07-27  0:00 wvdtol
From: wvdtol @ 1999-07-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

TO: Ada95 World, Section OpenGL
CC: OpenGL world, Section Ada95

I'm playing a bit with Glut3.7 and I am looking for an example in which
textures, rgb files, are being used.

I've seen examples in C/C++ where texture.h/c is being used
together with some other sources. I am hoping that somebody has put some
effort in translating this C code into ada95 code.

I've been looking around a bit on the Web. Until now I haven't seen any
example of OpenGL and Ada95 that uses texture files.

For your interest, I am working on Windows 98,
I am using GNAT 3.11, Glut3.7, NTEmacs which is great fun when you try
to use its shortcuts in MS-Access, and some TASH.

I am looking forward to your replies!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: textures, GlUT3.7 and Ada95
@ 1999-07-27  0:00 ` jerry
From: jerry @ 1999-07-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

wvdtol@my-deja.com wrote:

: I'm playing a bit with Glut3.7 and I am looking for an example in which
: textures, rgb files, are being used.

As someone who ported/bound GLUT to Ada (maybe you are using it ?) I wonder
what the specific problem of converting one of demo programs to Ada in
this case is. ?

--
-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

* Re: textures, GlUT3.7 and Ada95
@ 1999-07-28  0:00   ` wvdtol
From: wvdtol @ 1999-07-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry,

There is an ada implementation available and the examples there don't
use textures, or I must have been looking with a very well implemented
'remove everything that looks like reading texture files from what I see
in an ada95 program' filter.

As I wrote I was looking for examples, such to give me the ability to
port the code myself. But I can have a look at the GLUT code that has
been ported to ada and compare it with the C code.
Once I know the trick I will make an example "converting C to Ada95 for
dummies" that I will use myself for my future C to ada projects.

One part of the problem is that I am better in writing code that no one
understands, than reading somebody else's code. Especialy when it is
written in a programming language I am not familiar with.

To be more specific, I ran into something like Void *byte. Hmmm, I
wonder what it means, and more, how do you convert something like that
to Ada? There are more of these int* blub and void *bertje(&eet, *pap)
that confuse my very fragily understanding of access types am just
growing.

I will also have a more in depth look at the C code myself. It means I
have to find a C book.

Wilco

@ 1999-07-28  0:00   ` W.J. van den Tol
From: W.J. van den Tol @ 1999-07-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <FFJy8s.6x@stuyts.nl>,
  jerry@jvdsys.stuyts.nl wrote:
> wvdtol@my-deja.com wrote:

Hmm, me again,

Since you mentioned the Glut I had a look at the texture.h and .c that
come with glut and found out that the code is a bit different from the
code were I found the void *byte.
That code came from a CD-Rom with OpenGL examples that came with
an OpenGL bible for Winsomething.

So I will look at the glut texture.h/c files before I post more
questions. At first glance they look less complicated then the sources
from the CD-Rom.

I think I will have to ask something about malloc....

I'll be back, maybe...

thanks for now Jerry!

--
Wilco van den Tol
The Netherlands

@ 1999-07-28  0:00 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1999-07-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did you try these links ?

http://www.niestu.com/languages/oglada/
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pascal_obry/contrib.html

--
Gautier

--------
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

From: W.J. van den Tol @ 1999-07-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <379EC0C9.5C5A83DB@maths.unine.ch>,
  Gautier <gautier.demontmollin@maths.unine.ch> wrote:

Yep, I had a look, I've seen these web pages before and they are a
variation on the glut examples. A lot of the C examples that come with
glut make use of texture.c of which I wonder if there is allready an
port to Ada95 available.

I am now finding out how to port the texture.c to an ada95 source file.
I hoped that somebody could give me some hints to an already ported
version. Or something that looks like it.

Thanks a lot for your reply!