From: Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT -vs- ObjectAda (was Re: where is the faq)
Date: 1999/07/26
Date: 1999-07-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <HzUm3.481$U4.31394@clnws01.we.mediaone.net>,
  pascmartin@mail.earthlink.net (Pascal F. Martin) wrote:
> This still assumes you run under debugger, which is highly
> annoying, especially when the user is not a programmer.
> Robert, just try helping a non computer savvy guy run through
> your procedure, and this _over the phone_ !

Well obviously if a non-programmer is to run the program under
GDB in this manner, the proper approach is to have a programmer
construct an appropriate script so this is automatic, something
that is quite easy to do, and which we have helped a number of
people to do.

> BTW, is GDB able to detach from a process under NT ? VC++ v5
> cannot. If not, that means you have to keep the program under
> debug once you looked at it. Very annoying if the program is
> to be run permanently (or whatever approximation of
> "permanent" exists on NT..).

Not clear why this is annoying (though anything can annoy
anyone of course :-) GDB is entirely non-intrusive, so as long
as the program does not hit a breakpoint or get a fatal signal,
the fact that gdb is somehwhere is virtual memory has little
effect on the operating environment.

Of course it is helpful to be able to get symbolic tracebacks
without the debugger present, and this capability now exists
in many versions of GNAT (unfortunately not yet in the NT
version, which is as usual hampered by the lack of documentation
from Microsoft, but we expect to have this feature in the next
version of NT). Also in the NT version, you can indeed get
a non-symbolic traceback (using the zero cost exception support)
which can be easily converted to symbolic form using addr2line.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/