From: mgk25@cl.cam.ac.uk (Markus Kuhn)
Subject: Re: Any have GNAT running on linux
Date: 1999/07/19
Date: 1999-07-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:
|> In article <7mt3tf$i9u$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
|>   mgk25@cl.cam.ac.uk (Markus Kuhn) wrote:
|> >
|> > Try the RPMs on
|> >   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/linux-ada/
|> > which include already a fix for a glibc 2.1 incompatibility.
|>
|> It is perhaps worth a warning, that if these RPM's are
|> constructed using shared libraries (I believe they are), then
|> there are some known failures, notably in some tasking cases,
|> that come from the use of shared libraries. Probably these
|> will not bother most casual GNAT users ...

Or in the words of the README file that comes with the RPMs and that
users should certainly read carefully:

   This distribution supports a shared GNAT runtime. This has the advantage
   of typically much smaller binaries and slightly reduced link times. The
   disadvantage is, that you need to deploy the runtime together with
   your programs and that the programs run slightly slower. For the runtime
   you may simply redistribute the runtime RPM belonging to this distribution.
   Please note, that the usage of shared libraries is an added feature
   of the ALT project and is not as well tested as the static case. In most
   cases it works. In cases you believe that the shared libraries causes
   problems just link statically (e.g. "-largs -static" for gnatmake). This
   will give you the original ACT behaviour.

Has there been already any progress with regard to identifying, what exactly
might go wrong with tasking and shared libraries?

Markus