From: "John Duncan" <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
Subject: Re: Suitability of ada environments for systems development
Date: 1999/07/02
Date: 1999-07-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert-

Thank you for your help. I do understand that this is an odd
place to put a vendor question. I did it for two reasons:

1. I don't want to get vendors' hopes up that something will actually
happen. (Perhaps I may have, I don't know.)

2. I thought it would be useful information to a lot of people in the
community.

What I am interested in is finding a retargetable standard library in Ada,
perhaps like a runtime kernel like someone already suggested.

What I do not want is some sort of operating-system specific solution, even
to the extent of the scheduling of tasks. I am merely interested in whether
someone has come up with implementations of the System.Interrupts and the
like to describe a lot of hardware. This is because I plan to implement a
sort of operating system myself, and I don't want the language system to be
making too many assumptions about what the operating system will do.
Afterward, I will probably commission a port of whatever language I use for
the purpose of writing applications on this operating system.

I am not exactly sure what the OS will look like, I just know that I want it
to be reliable and efficient from the ground up, and I believe that can be
done in Ada. It can also be done in other languages. The quality of the
programmers and the tools they use are both important.

But, like many things in this field, I await investors in order to find out
if my plans can come to fruition. In that, I do not know if I will actually
need anything, but I do know that a survey of the tools will help. :)

-John