From: mcc@entropy.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle)
Subject: Re: Comments at the End of Lines
Date: 1999/07/02
Date: 1999-07-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <rracine.20.00079751@draper.com>,
Roger Racine <rracine@draper.com> wrote:
>Are comments at the end of lines frowned upon for some reason?  The latest
>version of AdaGIDE, during a reformat, moves all such comments to the next
>line.  The statistics program provided by it gives incorrect results when
>end-of-line comments exist.
>Roger Racine

No, although I tend not to use them.  There didn't seem to be a good
reason to have the reformatter do this, so I changed it to allow end
of line comments.

One of our faculty gave the counter as an assignment in a course
here at the Academy.  I got a copy of his solution a couple of years ago for
a specific purpose.  He left, and then we started using PSP.  One
person suggested it would be nice to have a tool in AdaGIDE that counted
lines.  I remembered I had this lying around and put in in.

Alas, I do not have the sources, so I can't fix the problem that
end of line comments are perceived as comment lines.  Perhaps I need
to give the assignment again :-).  Or, maybe one of those people looking
to hone their Ada skills could contribute it.

--Martin

--
Martin C. Carlisle, Asst Prof of Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
carlislem@acm.org, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html