From: Ed Falis <falis@ma.aonix.com>
Subject: Re: How do you make sounds with ADA95?
Date: 1999/07/01
Date: 1999-07-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <NLZd3.1949$Ew4.126268@typhoon-sf.snfc21.pbi.net>,
  tmoran@bix.com wrote:
>   I don't know
> which Aonix compiler you have, but I'd be surprised if it
> targets both MSDOS and Windows.  What's wrong with the old .exe
> (or .com?) file for MSDOS?  Are you really upgrading a program
> to run on MSDOS systems?

The Open Pack add-on supports DOS applications under Phar Lap TNT, which is
included with the package.

But aside from the fact that this appears to be a school assignment, there
are a number of options available with our compilers, depending on what you
want to do and what you want to run the application on.

For Win NT, you have to go through win32 (for simple timed beeps) or an api
supporting the specific kind of sound you want to support.

For Win 95, you can use port I/O instructions, available in package
Machine_Operations_386 (see the <oa>\lib\src directory for m386r.ads).

Jerry van Dijk should have a higher-level package for port i/o instructions
at his website, if you're using this alternative, which is what you'd likely
use for DOS as well.  If the OA version isn't available, I can get it to you,
 since I implemented it.

Another option if you want to play .au files is to use AdaJNI
(www.ainslie-software.com) or the JVM targeted version of the OA compiler
that's available at our website.  You will then need to use java2ada
(included in the download) to generate the binding to sun.audio.

That's probably enough counter-examples to the "oh, you have to use GNAT" BS
that's been floating around on this NG	With a few minutes more of thought I
could come up with a few additional approaches.

- Ed Falis
Aonix

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/