* How to make sounds with Aonix
@ 1999-06-30  0:00 JOSHUA A GRANT
From: JOSHUA A GRANT @ 1999-06-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

My reasons for wanting all of this are quite simple.  My professor has
assigned us to find out if an old program he has will run on an Aonix
compiler system (not sure of the version, I know it is the latest
version). It is a software engineering exercise and the point is
to find out if it is possible, if so then do it, if not then give
sufficient evidence as to why.  The old program was compiled on a
different system with "BIT_OPS" and "PORT" packages available on the
previous system (unknown the specifics of previous system).  The problem
is that the Aonix 7.0 compiler does not have the above packages so I need
to find a replacement.  Would the Windex package work? Does anyone know?
If so does anyone know how it would be implemented?  Sorry for the
confusion.

Josh Grant

* Re: How to make sounds with Aonix
@ 1999-06-30  0:00 ` Jeffrey D. Cherry
From: Jeffrey D. Cherry @ 1999-06-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh,

I really wish you had mentioned that your problem was a class
assignment.  Being a part time computer science instructor at a local
community college, it bothers me that students don't provide such
information up front.  I encourage students to use the Internet and
groups such as CLA, but I always tell them to make their status as a
student known.  This is beneficial to both the poster and the ones who
respond.  Generally, the folks who follow CLA are very knowledgeable and
their responses to a query tend to assume the poster has a pretty good
background as well.  If the poster is a student, the responses can be
tailored with a little more explanatory text and less jargon.  If you
withhold your student status, then we are inclined to presume you are
trying to covertly get us to do your homework for you.  This can only
lead to resentment.  I feel it is correct to say that all CLA
respondents are more than willing to help others, but they don't like to
be exploited.

Enough lecture.  Let's focus on the problem.  Based on the previous
posts, your problem has been solved.  You now need to do the leg work to
investigate the suggested solutions and select the one that best meets
your requirements.  The following is a summary of your questions and the
answers you've already been given:

Can I create sounds?
Certainly.  But you need to know the specific target for the program in
order to render an implementation.  Straight DOS and Windows are two
vastly different operating systems requiring different methods to
accomplish the goal of generating sounds.

Does the Windex package work?
Get it.  Try it.  Then you'll know.

Can I replace the "BIT_OPS" and "PORT" packages?
Of course.  You can keep the same interface regardless of your target
system but the body of the package will be different depending on the
target.  You should realize that this is a solution that minimizes code
changes and may not be the "best" solution.  The "best" solution can
only be determined based on factors related to your project, such as
schedule, budget, and computer resources, to name a few.  For example,
if the program has to be delivered right away and the budget is nil,
then the quickest, cheapest implementation that works is the best
solution.  If you have time and a reasonable budget, then the best
solution may be to redesign the software to increase its portability.

--
Regards,
Jeffrey D. Cherry

* Re: How to make sounds with Aonix
@ 1999-06-30  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-06-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7lc7gj$da7$1@news.fsu.edu>,
  jag1158@garnet.acns.fsu.edu (JOSHUA A GRANT) wrote:
> My reasons for wanting all of this are quite simple.  My professor has
> assigned us to find out if an old program he has will run on an Aonix
> compiler system (not sure of the version, I know it is the latest
> version). It is a software engineering exercise and the point is
> to find out if it is possible, if so then do it, if not then give

Hmm. You're not going to get much "exercise" out of it, if we do all the
heavy lifting for you...

Anyway, as far as Ada help goes, I should tell you that the language
itself has *no* primitives or standard libraries for sound. However, Ada
can call OS routines using their C interfaces without much trouble. Most
compilers even provide packages to do this for you.

So the question really is now: "I have some old DOS code that makes
sounds. How do I get Windows to make (the same?) sounds." That's not an
Ada question, and would be better asked elsewhere (or, heaven forbid,
looked up in a book).

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: How to make sounds with Aonix
@ 1999-06-30  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-06-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you need to get directly to the ports, you don't want to be using Windows
and Aonix. Try GNAT/DOS.

David Botton

@ 1999-06-30  0:00     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-06-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am very sorry, I didn't realize there was an Aonix / DOS product. Please
except my apologies.

David Botton

@ 1999-07-01  0:00   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 1999-07-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-07-01  0:00       ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 1999-07-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7lekvd$2vgc$1@news.gate.net>,
  "David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote:
> I am very sorry, I didn't realize there was an Aonix / DOS product. Please
> except my apologies.

Apology unnecessary.  I was having a bad hair day (could be worse for a guy
my age).  Guess that's marketing, huh?

@ 1999-07-01  0:00         ` Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 1999-07-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know, Ed. I wouldn't be sorry forgiving.

He said to "except" his apology!!!!

Joe