From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Message passing code
Date: 1999/06/28
Date: 1999-06-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7l0s5k$g32$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

> Unless you write them yourself, you don't know how 'Read and
> 'Write are converting between your objects and stream
> elements.

I certainly HOPE this is false with any reasonable Ada 95
compiler. It should be quite transparent what the conversion
mechanism is. In the case of GNAT, you can look at s-stratt.adb
which encapsulates the conversions used (we have two versions
that are standard, and easy to read and understand, one for
native format, and one which uses XDR for platform
independence). You can if you like write your own version of
s-stratt.adb to control the underlying default translations
that are used.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/